This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 2
A.V. MIKHEEV, S.N. TRUSHIN
ANEURYSMAL BONE CYST OF THE RIB
I.P. Pavlov Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan,
The Russian Federation
Aneurysmal bone cyst is a rare benign tumor-like disease, which typically affects metaphyses of long tubular bones. Most often this osteolytic bone neoplasm occurs and is diagnosed in childhood or adolescence with a slight predominance of female subjects. There is no specific clinical manifestation of an aneurysmal bone cyst; its development is characterized by pain syndrome, swelling of soft tissues, restriction of limb function, less frequently - by pathological fractures. Aneurysmal bone cyst as a primary benign rib tumor is extremely rare, especially in the elderly. The article presents a clinical observation of a 69-year-old male patient with an aneurysmal bone cyst of the second left rib. The reason for seeking medical help was the increasing pain in the chest on the side of the lesion. X-ray computed tomography made it possible to determine the exact localization of the neoplasm, its relationship with the ribs and structures of the mediastinum. The cyst was radically removed through left thoracotomy, by excision of the tumor with the cortical layer of the rib. The subsequent morphological study confirmed the diagnosis of the aneurysmal bone cyst. The patient was being observed for 6 months and had no signs of the disease recurrence.
- Cappana R, Albisinni U, Picci P, Calderoni P, Campanacci M and Spingfield S. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the spine. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1985;67(4):527-31. doi: 10.2106/00004623-198567040-00004
- Guo J, Liang C. A giant aneurysmal bone cyst of the rib: Case report. Oncol Lett. 2014 Jan;7(1):267-29. doi: 10.3892/ol.2013.1642
- Jaffe HL, Lichtenstein L. Solitary unicameral bone cyst with emphasis on the roentgen picture, the pathologic appearance and the pathogenesis. Arch Surg. 1942;44(6):1004-25. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.1942.01210240043003
- Fletcher CDM, Bridge JA, Hogendoorn PCW, Mertens F. WHO Classification of Tumors of Soft Tissue and Bone. 4th ed. 2013;5. 468 р.
- Rogozhin DV, Konovalov DM, Bolshakov NA, Talalaev AG, Kozlov AS, Kuzin AS. Aneurysmal bone cyst in children and adolescents. Vopr Gematologii/Onkologii i Immunopatologii v Pediatrii. 2017;16(2):33-39. doi: 10.24287/1726-1708-2017-16-2-33-39 (in Russ.)
- Bludov AB, Zamogilnaya YaA, Nered AS, Kochergina NV. Aneurysmal bone cyst. Sarkomy Kostei, Miagkikh Tkanei i Opukholi Kozhi. 2013;(4):3-9. https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=23252014& (in Russ.)
- Oliveira AM, Perez-Atayde AR, Inwards CY, Medeiros F, Derr V, Hsi BL, Gebhardt MC, Rosenberg AE, Fletcher JA. USP6 and CDH11 oncogenes identify the neoplastic cell in primary aneurysmal bone cysts and are absent in so-called secondary aneurysmal bone cysts. Am J Pathol. 2004 Nov;165(5):1773-80. doi: 10.1016/S0002-9440(10)63432-3
- Solovyov AE, Laricheva OV. The results of treatment of bone cysts and bone tumor in children. Ros Med-Biol Vestn im Akad IP Pavlova. 2017;25(2):264-69. doi: 10.23888/PAVLOVJ20172264-269. (in Russ.)
- Robinson AE, Thomas RL, Monson DM. Aneurysmal bone cyst of the rib. A report of two unusual cases. Am J Roentgenol Radium Ther Nucl Med. 1967 Jul;100(3):526-29. doi: 10.2214/ajr.100.3.526
- Sabanathan S, Chen K, Robertson CS, Salama FD. Aneurysmal bone cyst of rib. Thorax 1984 Feb;39(2):125-30. doi: 10.1136/thx.39.2.125
- Çalik M, Çalik SG, Aygün MS, Esme H. Aneurysmal bone cyst of rib: a report of a rare case. J Emerg Med Case Rep. 2016;7:49-50 doi: 10.5152/jemcr.2016.1508
390026, The Russian Federation,
Ryazan, Vysokovoltnaya Str., 9,
I.P. Pavlov Ryazan State Medical University,
Department of Faculty Surgery
With the Course of Anesthesiology
Tel. +7 910 902-18-36,
Alexey V. Mikheev
Trushin Sergey N., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Faculty Surgery with the Course of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation, I.P. Pavlov Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.
Mikheev Alexey V., PhD, Associate Professor of the Department of Faculty Surgery with the Course of Anesthesiology and Resuscitation, I.P. Pavlov Ryazan State Medical University, Ryazan, Russian Federation.