This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2022 Vol. 30 No 4
LONG-TERM RESULTS OF RADIOSURGICAL TREATMENT OF INTRACRANIAL METASTASIS OF RENAL CELL CANCER
N.N. Alexandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus, Minsk,
The Republic of Belarus
Objective. To study the indicators and predictors of overall survival (OS) of patients with metastatic brain lesion in renal cell carcinoma after stereotactic radiosurgery (SRS).
Methods. The results of SRS of patients (n= 62) with 1 – 10 metastases in the brain with a diameter of no more than 3 cm were analyzed. A status on the Karnofsky scale was of at least 70%, withot extracranial progression, or there are reserves of systemic treatment. The OS parameters were studied and the prognostic factors after SRS were determined.
Results. The median OS was 18.0 months. Statistically significant differences in OS were revealed in patients with single and solitary metastases compared to the subgroup of patients with multiple foci (median OS were 20.0 months, 16.6 months, 10.6 months, respectively). The median OS with a single SRS session was 14.3 months, with 2 sessions – 19.8 months, and with 3 or more sessions it was not achieved. The factors influenced on OS indicators were the number of metastases and the fact of repeated sessions of SRS with intracranial progression.
Conclusion. SRS for metastases of kidney cancer in the brain provides satisfactory OS values in patients with good functional status and a controlled extracranial process.
- Barnholtz-Sloan JS, Sloan AE, Davis FG, Vigneau FD, Lai P, Sawaya RE. Incidence proportions of brain metastases in patients diagnosed (1973 to 2001) in the Metropolitan Detroit Cancer Surveillance System. J Clin Oncol. 2004 Jul 15;22(14):2865-72. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2004.12.149
- Janzen NK, Kim HL, Figlin RA, Belldegrun AS. Surveillance after radical or partial nephrectomy for localized renal cell carcinoma and management of recurrent disease. Urol Clin North Am. 2003 Nov;30(4):843-52. doi: 10.1016/s0094-0143(03)00056-9
- Gaspar L, Scott C, Rotman M, Asbell S, Phillips T, Wasserman T, McKenna WG, Byhardt R. Recursive partitioning analysis (RPA) of prognostic factors in three Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) brain metastases trials. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997 Mar 1;37(4):745-51. doi: 10.1016/s0360-3016(96)00619-0
- Brown PD, Ballman KV, Cerhan JH, Anderson SK, Carrero XW, Whitton AC, Greenspoon J, Parney IF, Laack NNI, Ashman JB, Bahary JP, Hadjipanayis CG, Urbanic JJ, Barker FG 2nd, Farace E, Khuntia D, Giannini C, Buckner JC, Galanis E, Roberge D. Postoperative stereotactic radiosurgery compared with whole brain radiotherapy for resected metastatic brain disease (NCCTG N107C/CEC•3): a multicentre, randomised, controlled, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2017 Aug;18(8):1049-1060. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(17)30441-2
- Rades D, Janssen S, Dziggel L, Blanck O, Bajrovic A, Veninga T, Schild SE. A matched-pair study comparing whole-brain irradiation alone to radiosurgery or fractionated stereotactic radiotherapy alone in patients irradiated for up to three brain metastases. BMC Cancer. 2017 Jan 6;17(1):30. doi: 10.1186/s12885-016-2989-3
- Andrews DW, Scott CB, Sperduto PW, Flanders AE, Gaspar LE, Schell MC, Werner-Wasik M, Demas W, Ryu J, Bahary JP, Souhami L, Rotman M, Mehta MP, Curran WJ Jr. Whole brain radiation therapy with or without stereotactic radiosurgery boost for patients with one to three brain metastases: phase III results of the RTOG 9508 randomised trial. Lancet. 2004 May 22;363(9422):1665-72. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(04)16250-8
- Ning S, Trisler K, Wessels BW, Knox SJ. Radiobiologic studies of radioimmunotherapy and external beam radiotherapy in vitro and in vivo in human renal cell carcinoma xenografts. Cancer. 1997 Dec 15;80(12 Suppl):2519-28. doi: 10.1002/(sici)1097-0142(19971215)80:12+<2519::aid-cncr26>3.3.co;2-t
- Wrónski M, Maor MH, Davis BJ, Sawaya R, Levin VA. External radiation of brain metastases from renal carcinoma: a retrospective study of 119 patients from the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 1997 Mar 1;37(4):753-9. doi: 10.1016/s0360-3016(97)00006-0
- Culine S, Bekradda M, Kramar A, Rey A, Escudier B, Droz JP. Prognostic factors for survival in patients with brain metastases from renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 1998 Dec 15;83(12):2548-53. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19981215)83:12<2548::AID-CNCR21>3.0.CO;2-4
- Cannady SB, Cavanaugh KA, Lee SY, Bukowski RM, Olencki TE, Stevens GH, Barnett GH, Suh JH. Results of whole brain radiotherapy and recursive partitioning analysis in patients with brain metastases from renal cell carcinoma: a retrospective study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2004 Jan 1;58(1):253-58. doi: 10.1016/s0360-3016(03)00818-6
- Yamamoto M, Serizawa T, Shuto T, Akabane A, Higuchi Y, Kawagishi J, Yamanaka K, Sato Y, Jokura H, Yomo S, Nagano O, Kenai H, Moriki A, Suzuki S, Kida Y, Iwai Y, Hayashi M, Onishi H, Gondo M, Sato M, Akimitsu T, Kubo K, Kikuchi Y, Shibasaki T, Goto T, Takanashi M, Mori Y, Takakura K, Saeki N, Kunieda E, Aoyama H, Momoshima S, Tsuchiya K. Stereotactic radiosurgery for patients with multiple brain metastases (JLGK0901): a multi-institutional prospective observational study. Lancet Oncol. 2014 Apr;15(4):387-95. doi: 10.1016/S1470-2045(14)70061-0
- Fritz C, Borsky K, Stark LS, Tanadini-Lang S, Kroeze SGC, Krayenbühl J, Guckenberger M, Andratschke N. Repeated Courses of Radiosurgery for New Brain Metastases to Defer Whole Brain Radiotherapy: Feasibility and Outcome With Validation of the New Prognostic Metric Brain Metastasis Velocity. Front Oncol. 2018 Nov 22;8:551. doi: 10.3389/fonc.2018.00551. eCollection 2018.
223040, Republic of Belarus,
Minsk region, ag. Lesnoy,
Republican Scientific and Practical Center
of Oncology and Medical Radiology
named after A.I. N.N. Alexandrov,
Llaboratory of Radiation Therapy,
Demeshko Pavel D.
Dziameshka Pavel D., MD., Professor, Chief Researcher of the Laboratory of Radiation Therapy, Republican Scientific and Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology named after N.N.. Aleksandrov, Minsk, Republic of Belarus.