This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 6
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
A.V. STAKANOV 1, À.Å. MURONOV 1, S.Y. EFANOV 2
HYPERBARIC OXYGEN THERAPY OF ACUTE COLONIC OBSTRUCTION
SBEE HPE "Kuban State Medical University" 1
SBEE HPE "Rostov State Medical University"2,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To evaluate the effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in patients after elimination of acute colonic obstruction.
Methods. The study enrolled 263 patients with acute colonic obstruction (ACO). All patients were divided into two groups: I – comparison group with basic therapy (n=118) and II – main group (n = 145), where in the postoperative period starting from the 2nd-3rd days hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO) was applied together with a standard therapy. The primary surgeries were: a bowel resection, laparotomy, applying of colo- (ceco-, transverso-, sigmo-) stomy, nasointestinal intubation of the small intestine and stomach. Patient’ gender and age characteristics as well as the severity of the early perioperative period estimated according to the dynamic APACHE III scale had no differences. The duration of operations, anesthetic treatment and stay in the intensive care unit are comparable. The presence of comorbidities in patients of both groups is without any significant differences.
Results. In the postoperative period the use of HBO reduces the incidence of postoperative complications, significantly reducing the pneumonia percentage by 9,7%, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), delirium – by 7,5%, paresis of the gastrointestinal tract for more than 3 days by 5,8%, septic complications by 3,5%. The development of acute kidney injury, left ventricular failure, postoperative myocardial infarction, as well as hypotension requiring vasoactive support, occurred in a comparable number of observations. Complications associated with pulmonary embolism, brain ischemia, acute gastrointestinal bleeding were considered to be similar in both groups. Medical and economic feasibility of HBO application in complex therapy in case of acute colonic obstruction (ACO) is based on statistical trends reducing the length of hospital stay by two days, the need for reoperation – by 3,5%, in-hospital mortality rate – by 3,1%.
Conclusion. The performed study gives the opportunity to recommend the use of hyperbaric oxygen therapy after elimination of acute colonic obstruction.
- Ziborova LN, Stakanov AV. Prognozirovanie techeniia rannego posleoperatsionnogo perioda u geriatricheskikh bol'nykh s ostroi tolstokishechnoi neprokhodimost'iu [Prediction of the early postoperative period in geriatric patients with acute colonic obstruction]. Vestn Inten Terapii. 2015;(5):105-107.
- Markogiannakis H, Messaris E, Dardamanis D, Pararas N, Tzertzemelis D, Giannopoulos P, Larentzakis A, Lagoudianakis E, Manouras A, Bramis I. Acute mechanical bowel obstruction: clinical presentation, etiology, management and outcome. World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Jan 21;13(3):432-37.
- Groshilin VS, Sultanmuradov MI, Moskovchenko AN, Petrenko NA. Sovremennye aspekty profilaktiki oslozhnenii posle obstruktivnykh rezektsii distal'nykh otdelov tolstoi kishki [Modern aspects of prophylaxis of complications after resection of obstructive distal colon]. Fund Issledovaniia. 2013;(9-1):24-27.
- Sutherasan Y, Rodríguez-González R, Pelosi P. Prevention of Perioperative Complications: It Takes a Village to Raise a Child. ICU. 2014Autumn;14(3).
- Stakanov AV, Dudarev IV, Potseluev EA, Stakanov VA, Stakanova KA. Prognozirovanie kishechnoi disfunktsii posle kolorektal'nykh operatsii [Prediction of intestinal dysfunction after colorectal operations]. Vestn Intensiv Terapii. 2015;(5):160-66.
- Lebedeva EA, Kurtasov AA, Kaminskii MIu, Beliaevskii SA, Markarian EG, Chimishkian AS, Andrianova EV, Alukhanian AIu. Kompleksnoe intensivnoe lechenie tiazheloi sochetannoi cherepno-mozgovoi travmy s tselevym primeneniem epoetina al'fa, tsitoflavina i giperbaricheskoi oksigenatsii [Complex intensive treatment severe combined traumatic brain injury to the target using epoetin alfa cytoflavin and hyperbaric oxygenation]. Vestn Intensiv Terapii. 2015;(5):132-34.
- Mathieu D. Manual of Hyperbaric Medicine. Springer; 2006. 805 ð.
- Camporesi EM, Bosco G. Mechanisms of action of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Undersea Hyperb Med. 2014 May-Jun;41(3):247-52.
- Nijsten WN, Bakker J. Lactate Monitoring in the ICU. ICU. 2015;15(2).
- Beliaevskii AD, Sogikian AS, Beliaevskaia MS. Giperbaricheskaia oksigenatsiia na fone antioksidantnogo vozdeistviia tsitoflavinom v lechenii vospalitel'nykh zabolevanii vnutrennikh zhenskikh polovykh organov [Hyperbaric oxygen therapy on the background of the antioxidant effects cytoflavin in the treatment of inflammatory diseases of the internal female reproductive organs]. Vestn Intens Terapii. 2010;(5):154-55.
- Dulai PS, Gleeson MW, Taylor D, Holubar SD, Buckey JC, Siegel CA. Systematic review: The safety and efficacy of hyperbaric oxygen therapy for inflammatory bowel disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2014 Jun;39(11):1266-75. doi: 10.1111/apt.12753.
- Musaeva TS, Kulinich OV, Karipidi MK. Individual'nyi podkhod k perioperatsionnoi infuzionnoi terapii s uchetom dannykh postoiannogo potentsiala u patsientov posle obshirnykh abdominal'nykh operatsii [Individual approach to perioperative fluid therapy based on the data of constant potential in patients after major abdominal surgery]. Kuban Nauchn Med Vestn. 2015;2(151):105-14.
- Gomon NL, Shlapak IP. Mul'timodal'naia kombinirovannaia anesteziia/analgeziia v komplekse lecheniia khirurgicheskikh patsientov abdominal'nogo profilia [Multimodal combined anesthesia / analgesia in the complex treatment of surgical patients abdominal profile]. Novosti Khirurgii. 2014;22(6):721-26.
- Fukami Y, Kurumiya Y, Mizuno K, Sekoguchi E, Kobayashi S. Clinical effect of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in adhesive postoperative small bowel obstruction. Br J Surg. 2014 Mar;101(4):433-7. doi: 10.1002/bjs.9389.
- Zabolotskikh IB, Rudometkin SG, Trembach NV. Profilaktika deliriia u geriatricheskikh bol'nykh posle obshirnykh abdominal'nykh operatsii [Prevention of delirium in geriatric patients after major abdominal surgery]. Vestn Anesteziologii i Reanimatologii. 2013;10.(1):3-8.
344010, Russian Federation,
Rostov-na-Donu, pr. Voroshilovskiy, d. 105,
GBOU VPO "Rostovskiy gosudarstvennyiy meditsinskiy universitet"
kafedra obschey khirurgii,
tel. mob. 7 903 406-00-97, e-mail: email@example.com,
Efanov Sergey Yurevich
Stakanov A.V. PhD, an applicant for Doctor’s degree of anesthesiology, reanimatology and transfusion chair of the advanced training faculty and retraining of specialists of SBEE HPE "Kuban State Medical University" of the Ministry of Health of Russia.
Muronov A.E. PhD, an associate professor of anesthesiology, reanimatology and transfusion chair of the advanced training faculty and retraining of specialists of SBEE HPE "Kuban State Medical University" of the Ministry of Health of Russia.
Efanov S.Y. PhD, an assistant of the general surgery chair of SBEE HPE "Rostov State Medical University".