This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 5
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
U.U. ANDRUSHCHUK1, Y.P. OSTROVSKY1, V.V. ZHARKOV2, S.A. KURGANOVICH1, T.T. GEVORKYAN1, M.M. SHASHURO2, N.M. NAVITSKAYA1
ALGORITHM OF COMPLEX SURGICAL TREATMENT OF PATIENTS WITH TUMORS OF THE MAIN LOCATIONS AND CONCOMITANT CORONARY ARTERY DISEASE
Republican Scientific Practical Centre "Cardiology"1,
N.N. Aleksandrov National Cancer Centre of Belarus2
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To evaluate the results of applying the algorithm of complex surgical treatment of patients with tumors of the main locations and concomitant coronary artery disease (CAD).
Methods. The developed algorithm of complex surgical treatment is based on the determination of the least patient risk of cardio- and radical oncosurgical intervention with the choice of simultaneous or staged approach of treatment and the possibility of their conversion. According to the developed algorithm 93 patients (group 1) and 49 patients (group 2) have been simultaneous and staged operated, respectively. The coronary arteries bypass grafting (CABG) and radical intervention on the tumors of the main locations (lung, esophagus, stomach, kidney, uterus, adnexa of uterus) have been conducted within the period from 2001 to 2014. The patients of the first group seem to have more common malignant of lung (p=0,005), and the patients of the second group – gastric (p=0,07), esophageal (p=0,04) and colorectal (p=0,03) cancer. There was no any difference in the degree of heart failure and angina in patients of both groups. In the first group the operations on the “working heart” were significantly more performed and, accordingly, in the second – under cardiopulmonary bypass (p=0,001).
Results. Overall hospital mortality of the first and second groups was 8,60% and 10,20%, respectively (p = 0,76), a major hospital complications – 23,66% and 32,65% (p=0,35), from which cardiac ones – 6,45% and 11,63% (p=0,34). The five-year survival rate was 39,30±5,51% and 45,32±11,71% (p=0,20), median – 33,47 and 60,10 months, respectively. The corrected free survival averaged 72,45 ± 7,86 and 64,08±11,14 months (p=0,51).
Conclusion. The developed algorithm of complex surgical treatment of patients with tumors of the main locations and concomitant CAD takes advantages of simultaneous and staged approaches and provides good immediate and long-term results.
- Janssen-Heijnen ML, Schipper RM, Razenberg PP, Crommelin MA, Coebergh JW. Prevalence of co-morbidity in lung cancer patients and its relationship with treatment: a population-based study. Lung Cancer. 1998 Aug;21(2):105-13.
- Foster ED, Davis KB, Carpenter JA, Abele S, Fray D. Risk of noncardiac operation in patients with defined coronary disease: The Coronary Artery Surgery Study (CASS) registry experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 1986 Jan;41(1):42-50.
- Danton MH, Anikin VA, McManus KG, McGuigan JA, Campalani G. Simultaneous cardiac surgery with pulmonary resection: presentation of series and review of literature. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1998 Jun;13(6):667-72.
- Tourmousoglou CE, Apostolakis E, Dougenis D. Simultaneous occurrence of coronary artery disease and lung cancer: what is the best surgical treatment strategy? Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2014 Oct;19(4):673-81. doi: 10.1093/icvts/ivu218.
- Patanè F, Verzini A, Zingarelli E, di Summa M. Simultaneous operation for cardiac disease and lung cancer. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2002 Dec;1(2):69-71.
- Voets AJ, Joesoef KS, van Teeffelen ME. Synchroneously occurring lung cancer (stages I-II) and coronary artery disease: concomitant versus staged surgical approach. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1997 Nov;12(5):713-17.
- Davydov ÌI, Akchurin RS, Gerasimov SS, Brand IB, Dolgov IM. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie bol'nykh rakom legkogo s tiazhelymi soputstvuiushchimi serdechno-sosudistymi zabolevaniiami [Surgical treatment of lung cancer patients with severe concomitant cardiovascular disease]. Khirurgiia. Zhurn im NI Pirogova 2012;(7):18-26.
- Rao V, Todd TR, Weisel RD, Komeda M, Cohen G, Ikonomidis JS, Christakis GT. Results of combined pulmonary resection and cardiac operation. Ann Thorac Surg. 1996 Aug;62(2):342-46.
- Prokakis C, Koletsis E, Apostolakis E, Panagopoulos N, Charoulis N, Velissaris D, Filos K, Dougenis D. Combined heart surgery and lung tumor resection. Med Sci Monit. 2008 Mar;14(3):CS17-21.
- Cantarella F, Graziosi L, Cavazzoni E, Severini D, Da Col U, Ragni T, Donini A. Simultaneous surgery for obstructive coronary artery disease and ulcerated gastric cancer. J Surg Case Rep. 2011 Dec 1;2011(12):3. doi: 10.1093/jscr/2011.12.3.
- Vojácek J, Hlubocký J, Burkert J, Brázdil J, Durpekt R, Valek S, Spatenka J, Lischke R, Schützner J, Smejkal P, Horácek M, Pafko P, Pavel P. Simultaneous cardiac and thoracic operations. Zentralbl Chir. 2006 Jun;131(3):200-5. [Article in German].
- Yokoyama T, Derrick MJ, Lee AW. Cardiac operation with associated pulmonary resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1993 May;105(5):912-16.
- Canver CC, Bhayana JN, Lajos TZ, Raza ST, Lewin AN, Bergsland J, Mentzer RM Jr. Pulmonary resection combined with cardiac operations. Ann Thorac Surg. 1990 Nov;50(5):796-99.
- Andrushchuk UU, Ostrovskii IP, Zharkov VV, Kurganovich SA, Kurushko TV, Komarovskii AA, Novitskaia NM. Algoritm simul'tannogo khirurgicheskogo lecheniia patsientov s opukholiami osnovnykh lokalizatsii i soputstvuiushchei ishemicheskoi bolezn'iu serdtsa [Algorithm of simultaneous surgical treatment of patients with tumors of the main locations and concomitant coronary heart disease]. Kardiologiia v Belarusi. 2015;(40)3:6-18.
220036, Respublika Belarus',
g. Minsk, ul. R. Liuksemburg, d. 110,
GU Respublikanskii nauchno-prakticheskii tsentr "Kardiologiia",
laboratoriia khirurgii serdtsa,
tel. rab. +375 17 2088605,
Andrushchuk Vladimir Vladimirovich
Androshchuk U.U., PhD, a cardiac surgeon of the 2nd cardiac surgery department of SE "Republican Scientific and Practical Center" Cardiology", a fellow worker of the Laboratory of Cardiac Surgery.
Ostrovsky Y.P., MD, professor, an academician of the National Academy of Sciences, a head of the Department of Cardiac Surgery SEE "Belarusian Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education", a chief peripatetic heart surgeon Ministry of Health of the Republic of Belarus.
Zharkov V.V., MD., professor, a head of the surgical department of SE "Republican Scientific-Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology. N.N. Aleksandrova".
Kurganovich S.A., a specialist on ultrasonic diagnosis of SE "Republican Scientific and Practical Center Cardiology", the Laboratory of Cardiac Surgery.
Gevorgyan T.T. a specialist, department of functional diagnosis of SI "Republican Scientific and Practical Center Cardiology".
Shashuro M.M., an assistant of surgical department of SE "Republican Scientific-Practical Center of Oncology and Medical Radiology. N.N. Aleksandrova".
Novitskaya N.M., an assistant of laboratory heart surgery SE "Republican Scientific and Practical Center "Cardiology".