This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2014 Vol. 22 No 6
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
V.I. BELOKONEV 1, J.V. PONOMAREVA 1, S.Y. PUSHKIN 2, O.N. MELENTIEVA 1, M.G. GULYAEV 1
POTENTIAL PREDICTORS AND MORPHOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF SEROMA DEVELOPMENT AFTER PLASTIC SURGERY OF THE ANTERIOR ABDOMINAL WALL HERNIA
SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”1,
SBME “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”2,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To determine potential predictors of seroma formation on the basis of pathomorphological picture.
Methods. The analysis of indicators of the level of C-C motifligand 2 (CCL2) has been conducted by ELISA in the serum and exudates of 68 patients prior surgery and after it on the 4th, 10th-12th day in case the surgical removal of ventral hernia W3, W4 the cutaneous and adipose flap was dissected with the plastic gates by polypropylene endoprosthesis. In patients with advanced seroma a morphological study of its walls, contents, and adjacent tissues was carried out.
Results. In patients with normal postoperative period after hernioplasty the elevation of CCL2 values in the serum and exudate was observed and their reduction has occured up to 10th-12th days. Similar changes were revealed in the group of patients with planned surgical pathology. Patients who subsequently seroma developed to the 4th day the level of CCL2 was 3 folds higher regarding to the control groups without any tendency to reduce (p<0,05). Morphological analysis revealed signs of both acute and chronic inflammation in the tissues depending on the terms of seroma existence.
Conclusion. The injured cells of the adipose tissue and macrophages migrating to the inflammatory focus are considered to be the source of the chemokine CCL2, supporting an exudative inflammation. From this point of view the determination of CCL2 level in the blood serum and/or discharge from the drainage after hernioplasty accompanied by immobilization of subcutaneous and adipose flap over a large area can serve as factors predicting seroma formation.
- Stupin VA. Effektivnost' ul'trazvukovogo issledovaniia v diagnostike retentsionnykh oslozhnenii u patsientov s posleoperatsionnymi gryzhami [The effectiveness of ultrasound in the diagnosis of retention of complications in patients with postoperative hernias]. Gerniologiia. 2009;(1):40.
- Belianskii LS, Todurov IM, Manoilo NV. Osobennosti khirurgicheskogo lecheniia defektov briushnoi stenki u bol'nykh s massivnym povrezhdeniem funktsional'nykh myshechnykh kompleksov [Features of surgical treatment of abdominal wall defects in patients with massive damage of functional muscle complexes]. Gerniologiia. 2007;(3):29–31.
- Fedorov IV, Slavin LE, Kochnev AV, Voronin AV, Khasanov NF. Seroma kak oslozhnenie khirurgii gryzh zhivota [Seroma as a complication of surgery abdominal hernias]. Gerniologiia. 2007;(2):27–29.
- Lopez-Cano M, Armengol-Carrasco M.Use of vacuum-assisted closure in open incisional hernia repair: a novel approach to prevent seroma formation. Hernia. 2013 Feb;17(1):129–31.
- Bullocks J, Basu B, Hsu P, Singer R. Prevention of Hematomas and Seromas. Semin Plast Surg. Nov 2006; 20(4):233–40.
- Edwards C, Angstadt J, Whipple O, Grau R. Laparoscopic ventral hernia repair: postoperative antibiotics decrease incidence of seroma-related cellulitis. Am Surg. 2005 Nov;71(11):931–35;
- Barton A, Blitz M, Callahan D, Yakimets W, Adams D, Dabbs K. Early removal of postmastectomy drains is not beneficial: results from a halted randomized controlled trial. AmJSurg. 2006 May;191(5):652–56.
- Klink CD, Binnebosel M, Lucas AH, Schachtrupp A, Grommes J, Conze J, Klinge U, Neumann U, Junge K.Serum analyses for protein, albumin and IL-1-RA serve as reliable predictors for seroma formation after incisional hernia repair. Hernia. 2011 Feb;15(1):69–73.
- Rosch R, Junge K, Schachtrupp A, Klinge U, Klosterhalfen B, Schumpelick V.Mesh implants in hernia repair. Inflammatory cell response in a rat model. EurSurgRes. 2003 May-Jun;35(3):161–66.
- Anderson JM, Rodriguez A, Chang DT. Foreign body reaction to biomaterials. SeminImmunol. 2008 Apr;20(2):86–100.
- Al-Gaithy ZK, Ayuob NN.Vascular and cellular events in post-mastectomy seroma: an immunohistochemical study. Cell Immunol. 2012;272(2):130–36.
- Eser M, Gokceimam M, Eyvaz K, Tutal F, Gecer MO, Goktas S, Uzun H, Kaptanoglu L, Kurt N. Effect of local bleomycin sulfate application on seroma formation in a rat mastectomy and axillary lymph node dissection model. EurJPharmacol. 2014 Jan 15;723:375–80
- Kocdor MA, KilicYildiz D, Kocdor H, Canda T, Yilmaz O, Oktay G, Harmancioglu O.Effects of locally applied 5-fluorouracil on the prevention of postmastectomyseromas in a rat model. EurSurgRes. 2008;40(3):256–62.
443079, Rossiyskaya Federatsiya, g. Samara, ul. Gagarina, d. 20, Institut eksperimentalnoy meditsinyi i biotehnologiy (IEMB) GBOU VPO «Samarskiy gosudarstvennyiy meditsinskiy universitet»,
tel. office: 7 846 260-09-42,
Ponomareva Juliya Vyacheslavovna
Belokonev V.I. MD, professor, Honored Doctor of Russia, a head of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.
Ponomareva J.V. PhD, senior researcher of Institute of Experimental Medicine and Biotechnologies of SBEE HPE Samara State Medical University”.
Pushkin S.Y. MD, Deputy Chief on Surgery of SBME “Samara Regional Clinical Hospital named after M.I. Kalinin”.
Melentieva O.N. PhD, an associate professor of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.
Gulyaev M.G. A post-graduate student of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.