This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 2
S.A. TACHYLA1, À.V. ÌàRACHKAU1, N.Î. ÌàKSUTA2 , N.V. ÀKULICH2
INFLUENCE OF VARIOUS VARIANTS OF THE MULTICOMPONENT BALANCED ANAESTHESIA ON THE LEUKOCYTE FORMULA AND PHAGOCYTIC ACTIVITY IN BLOOD OF THE PATIENTS
ME "Mogilev Regional Hospital" 1,
ME "Mogilev Regional Hospital named A.A. Kulrshov 2".
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To carry out comparative analysis of different variants effects of the multicomponent balanced anesthesia using isoflurane/nitrous oxide/fentanyl, sevoflurane/nitrous oxide/fentanyl and propofol/fentanyl on leukocytes: their number, composition and phagocytic activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes.
Methods. Analysis of the number and function of leukocytes during general anesthesia at laparoscopic cholecystectomy was performed in 50 patients (3 males and 47 females, aged 51,5±12,4 years, weight 84,5±18,4 kg). At several stages of anesthesia the changes in the quantity of leukocytes, granulocytes and lymphocytes and phagocytic activity of polymorphonuclear leukocytes were determined.
Results. It has been found out that during the multicomponent balanced anesthesia with the use of sevoflurane/nitrous oxide/fentanyl and propofol/fentanyl the number of leukocytes, granulocytes and lymphocytes intraoperatively doesn’t differ from baseline and the multicomponent balanced anesthesia using isoflurane/nitrous oxide/fentanyl decreases the number of leukocytes and granulocytes during surgery. In the postoperative period leukocytosis, granulocytosis and relative lymphopenia were registered. Phagocytic activity of leukocytes decreased during general anesthesia. The intensity of fluorescence was significantly lower in the group with propofol/fentanyl application compared with group of sevoflurane/nitrous oxide/fentanyl application.
Conclusions. During anesthesia the changes of the number of leukocytes, granulocytes and lymphocytes along with stable hemodynamic parameters, oxygenation, ventilation, sufficiently deep anesthesia according to monitoring data of electroencephalography and neuromuscular block characterize an adequate level of anesthesia protection of patients against a operation trauma. In our study all three variants of the multicomponent balanced anesthesia have the ability to reduce the phagocytic index that anesthesiologist should take into account during anesthesia.
- Bruce DL.Acute and chronic anaesthetic actions on leukocytes. Can Anaesth Soc J. 1973 Jan;20(1):55–63. Review.
- Zil'ber AP. Vliianie anestezii i operatsii na osnovnye funktsii organizma. Operatsionnyi stress i puti ego korrektsii [The influence of anesthesia and surgery on the basic functions of the organism. Operational stress and the ways to correct it]. V kn.: Buniatian AA, red. Rukovodstvo po anesteziologii. Moscow, RF: Meditsina; 1994. s. 314–39.
- Liu S, Wang B, Li S, Zhou Y, An L, Wang Y, Lv H, Zhang G, Fang F, Liu Z, Han R, Jiang T, Kang X. Immune cell populations decrease during craniotomy under general anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2011 Sep;113(3):572–77.
- Schilling T, Kozian A, Senturk M, Huth C, Reinhold A, Hedenstierna G, Hachenberg T. Effects of volatile and intravenous anesthesia on the alveolar and systemic inflammatory response in thoracic surgical patients. Anesthesiology. 2011 Jul;115(1):65–74.
- Nicholson G, Hall GM. Effects of anaesthesia on the inflammatory response to injury. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2011 Aug;24(4):370–74.
- Heller A, Heller S, Blecken S, Urbaschek R, Koch T. Effects of intravenous anesthetics on bacterial elimination in human blood in vitro. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 1998 May;42(5):518–26.
- Mikawa K, Akamatsu H, Nishina K, Shiga M, Maekawa N, Obara H, Niwa Y. Propofol inhibits human neutrophil functions. Anesth Analg. 1998 Sep;87(3):695–700.
- Weiss M, Birkhahn A, Krone M, Schneider EM. Do etomidate and propofol influence oxygen radical production of neutrophils? Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol. 1996 May;18(2):291–307.
- Heine J, Jaeger K, Weingaertner N, Scheinichen D, Marx G, Piepenbrock S. Effects of different preparations of propofol, diazepam, and etomidate on human neutrophils in vitro. Acta Anaesthesiol Scand. 2001 Feb;45(2):213–20.
- Ji FH, Wang YL, Yang JP. Effects of propofol anesthesia and sevoflurane anesthesia on the differentiation of human T-helper cells during surgery. Chin Med J (Engl). 2011 Feb;124(4):525–29.
- Delogu G, Moretti S, Famularo G, Marcellini S, Santini G, Antonucci A, Marandola M, Signore L. Mitochondrial perturbations and oxidant stress in lymphocytes from patients undergoing surgery and general anesthesia. Arch Surg. 2001 Oct;136(10):1190–96.
- Urner M, Limbach LK, Herrmann IK, Muller-Edenborn B, Roth-Z'Graggen B, Schlicker A, Reyes L, Booy C, Hasler M, Stark WJ, Beck-Schimmer B. Fluorinated groups mediate the immunomodulatory effects of volatile anesthetics in acute cell injury. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2011 Sep;45(3):617–24.
- Heine J, Jaeger K, Osthaus A, Weingaertner N, Munte S, Piepenbrock S, Leuwer M. Anaesthesia with propofol decreases FMLP-induced neutrophil respiratory burst but not phagocytosis compared with isoflurane. Br J Anaesth. 2000 Sep;85(3):424–30.
- Erol A, Reisli R, Reisli I, Kara R, Otelcioglu S. Effects of desflurane, sevoflurane and propofol on phagocytosis and respiratory burst activity of human polymorphonuclear leucocytes in bronchoalveolar lavage. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2009 Feb;26(2):150–54.
- Kim WH, Jin HS, Ko JS, Hahm TS, Lee SM, Cho HS, Kim MH. The effect of anesthetic techniques on neutrophil-to-lymphocyte ratio after laparoscopy-assisted vaginal hysterectomy. Acta Anaesthesiol Taiwan. 2011 Sep;49(3):83–7.
- Khaitov PM, Pinegin BV. Izmenenie immuniteta pri khirurgicheskikh vmeshatel'stvakh [Changing of immunity during surgery]. Annaly Khirurg Gepatologii. 1998;3:100–10.
- Schneemilch CE, Schilling T, Bank U. Effects of general anaesthesia on inflammation. Best Pract Res Clin Anaesthesiol. 2004 Sep;18(3):493–507.
- Ducharme G, Newell EW, Pinto C, Schlichter LC. Small-conductance Cl- channels contribute to volume regulation and phagocytosis in microglia. Eur J Neurosci. 2007 Oct;26(8):2119–30.
- Ince C, Coremans JM, Ypey DL, Leijh PC, Verveen AA, van Furth R. Phagocytosis by human macrophages is accompanied by changes in ionic channel currents. J Cell Biol. 1988 Jun;106(6):1873–78.
212016, Respublika Belarus', g. Mogilev, ul. Belynitskogo-Biruli, d. 12, UZ «Mogilevskaia oblastnaia bol'nitsa», reanimatsionno-anesteziologicheskoe otdelenie,
Tochilo Sergei Anatol'evich
Tachyla S.A. An anesthesiologist-resuscitator of ME "Mogilev Regional Hospital".
Marachkau A.V. MD, a head of the anesthesiology and intensive care unit of ME "Mogilev Regional Hospital".
Maksuta N.O. A post-graduate student of the biology chair of EE "Mogilev State University named after A.A. Kuleshov”.
Akulich N.V. PhD, a head of the ecological physiology chair of EE "Mogilev State University named after A.A. Kuleshov”.