This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 6
HISTORY OF SURGERY
S.A. SUSHKOU, YU.S. NEBYLITSIN, E.N. REUTSKAYA, A.N. RAK
DIFFICULT PATIENT. WOUND OF PYOTR IVANOVICH BAGRATION. PART I
EE “Vitebsk State Medical University”
The Republic of Belarus
In 2012 it was a 200 years anniversary of the Patriotic war of 1812. It was the bloodiest war of the XIX century. The given paper makes an attempt to show comprehensively the problems of medical aid rendering to the wounded in the Russian army during battles, having studied them on one concrete case – the wounding of a legendary general Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration. The materials reflecting the circumstances of the general’s wounding are presented in the first part of the paper and the course of the pathological process and peculiarities of the conducted treatment are described in details on the basis of evidence of the witness.
During the War of 1812 the military doctors managed to return back to front tens of thousands of soldiers and officers of the Russian army. At the same time, despite the wound of P.I. Bagration wasn’t fatal initially and the best surgeons of that time were constantly beside him, he died of the developed gaseous gangrene.
The authors of many publications completely blame the doctors who rendered the medical aid for the unfavorable outcome. But such approach seems to be simplified as the most objective estimation can be done not using the results of the isolated analysis of the conducted treatment but studying comprehensively the problem taking into account all realities of that time: the level of the medical science at the beginning of the XIX century, the state of medical service of the Russian army, the military situation of that war period, etc.
- Tarle EV. Nashestvie Napoleona na Rossiiu. 1812 god [Napoleon's invasion of Russia. 1812 year]. Moscow, RF: Voenizdat; 1992. 304 p.
- Martos AI, Titov AA. Zapiski inzhenernogo ofitsera Martosa [The notes of engineer officer Martos ]. Rus Arkhiv. 1893;2(Vyp 7-8):456–19, 449–42.
- Govorov IaI. Poslednie dni zhizni kniazia Petra Ivanovicha Bagrationa [Last days of prince Pyotr Ivanovich Bagration]. Saint-Petersburg, RF; 1815(6):33–38. Available from: http://dlib.rsl.ru/viewer.
- 1812 god. Sobytiia 7 sentiabria. Borodinskoe srazhenie. S poludnia i do okonchaniia [1812 year. Events on September 7. The Battle of Borodino. From noon until the end]. Voennyi obozrevatel'. Available from: http://warsonline.info/1812-god/7-sentyabrya-borodinskoe-srazhenie-2-chast.html.
- Anisimov EV. General Bagration. Zhizn' i voina [General Bagration. Life and war]. Available from: http://lib.rus.ec/b/345654.
- 1812 god. Sobytiia 7 sentiabria. Borodinskoe srazhenie. Khod bitvy do poludnia [1812 year. Events on September 7. The Battle of Borodino. The progress of battle up to noon]. Voennyi obozrevatel'. Available from: http://warsonline.info/1812-god/6
- Kovalevskii NF. Istoriia gosudarstva Rossiiskogo: zhizneopisaniia znamenitykh voennykh deiatelei XVIII - nachalo XX v. [History of the Russian State: biographies of famous military leaders of the XVIII - beginning of XX century]. Moscow, RF: Kn palata, 1997. 414 p.
- Zalesskii KA. Napoleonovskie voiny 1799-1815 [The Napoleonic Wars 1799-1815]. Biograficheskii entsiklopedicheskii slovar'. Izd-va: AST, Astrel': 2003. 832 p.
- Larinskii N. «…Rana byla khorosha i obeshchala spasenie…» Istoriia raneniia PI Bagrationa [The wound was good and promised salvation ..." History of PI Bagration Wound]. Available from: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com.
- Davydov M. Byla li rana smertel'noi [Was the wound mortal]. Nauka i zhizn'. 2012;(9):26–33.
- Budko A. Legkoe ranenie so smertel'nym iskhodom [Slight wound with mortal outcome]. Med Gaz. 2012 20 iiulia;(52):15.
210023, Respublika Belarus, g. Vitebsk, pr. Frunze, d. 27, UO «Vitebskiy gosudarstvennyiy meditsinskiy universitet», kafedra obschey khirurgii,
Nebylitsin Yuriy Stanislavovich
Sushkov S.A. Candidate of medical sciences, associate professor, vice-rector on scientific research work of EE “Vitebsk StateMedical University
Nebylitsin Yu.S. Candidate of medical sciences, associate professor of the chair of general surgery of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University”
Reutskaya E.N., a 6-year student of the medical faculty of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University
Rak A.N., a 6-year student of the medical faculty of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University