This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 5
D.A. MOROZOV1, E.K. AYRYAN1, E.N. TCMOKALUK2, K.D. MOROZOV1, Z.F. SATAEVA1
CLITOROPLASTY WITH MORPHOLOGY OF THE GLANS SENSITIVE ZONES IN CHILDREN WITH DISORDERS OF SEX DEVELOPMENT
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University1,
A.I. Evdokimov Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry 2, Moscow,
The Russian Federation
Objective. Òo improve the results of feminizing plastics of the external genital organs in children with disorders of sex development.
Methods. 114 patients were operated on from the period of 1998 to 2017. The two-stage correction of the genitals was performed in the majority – 108 patients (94%). 79 (69%) children underwent feminizing plastic surgery according to A.B. Okulov, the feminizing plastic with preservation of the dorsal vascular-neural bundle was done in 35 (31%) patients. Among the patients of this group, in 29 (25%) the removal of excess tissues of the clitoral glans along the lateral surfaces and in 6 (5%) along the ventral surface was performed. Control examination of patients after plastic was performed on the 10th, 30th, 60th, 90th, 180th, 360th day, the appearance of the genitals was assessed for feminine type and clitoral reperfusion timing. 18 patients (15%) underwent the morphological examination of the resected sections of the clitoral glans. Morphological studies of 25 samples of full-layer sections of the clitoris glans were performed: 14 lateral, 6 ventral and 5 dorsal fragments.
Results. Evaluation of cosmetic results in the early and long-term after surgery did not show significant differences, regardless of the method of clitoroplasty. Reperfusion timing in the group where the plastic was performed according to A.B. Okulov was higher in comparison with the groups with the preservation of the dorsal vascular-neural bundle 3.8 sec. (3; 4.4)/ 2.5 sec. (1.9; 3.1) (ð=0.003). During microscopy it was revealed that the head of the clitoris is rich in nerve trunks and tactile bodies, which are located mainly on the ventral and dorsal areas of the glans of the clitoris. The innervation of the skin of the lateral sections of the clitoris glans is due to small nerve endings without sensitive bodies.
Conclusions. While carrying out clitoroplasty, preference should be given to the methods with preservation of the dorsal vascular-neural bundle. When the glans is resected, the ventral and dorsal surfaces of the organ should be preserved.
- Akramov NR, Zakirov AK. Sexual development disorder in girls: evolution of views on surgical treatment. Reproduktiv Zdorov’e Detei i Podrostkov. 2012;(5):50-63. https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=18913158 (in Russ.)
- Lean WL, Hutson JM, Deshpande AV, Grover S. Clitoroplasty: past, present and future. Pediatr Surg Int. 2007 Apr;23(4):289-93. doi: 10.1007/s00383-007-1893-y
- Acimi S, Acimi MA, Debbous L, Bessahraoui M, Bouanani I. Clitoroplasty: A variant of the technique by Acimi. Arab J Urol. 2018 Feb 22;16(2):232-37. doi: 10.1016/j.aju.2017.12.005. eCollection 2018 Jun.
- Okulov AB, Negmadzhanov BB. Khirurgicheskie bolezni reproduktivnoi sistemy i sekstransformatsionnye operatsii: ruk dlia vrachei. Moscow, RF; 2000. (in Russ.)
- Patil UA, Patil PU, Devdikar MS, Patil SU. Reduction clitoroplasty by ventral approach: technical refinement. J Obstet Gynaecol India. 2019 Apr;69(Suppl 1):48-52. doi: 10.1007/s13224-017-1062-8
- Mouriquand PD, Gorduza DB, Gay CL, Meyer-Bahlburg HF, Baker L, Baskin LS, Bouvattier C, Braga LH, Caldamone AC, Duranteau L, El Ghoneimi A, Hensle TW, Hoebeke P, Kaefer M, Kalfa N, Kolon TF, Manzoni G, Mure PY, Nordenskjöld A, Pippi Salle JL, Poppas DP, Ransley PG, Rink RC, Rodrigo R, Sann L, Schober J, Sibai H, Wisniewski A, Wolffenbuttel KP, Lee P. Surgery in disorders of sex development (DSD) with a gender issue: If (why), when, andhow? J Pediatr Urol. 2016 Jun;12(3):139-49. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2016.04.001
- Creighton SM, Minto CL, Steele SJ. Objective cosmetic and anatomical outcomes at adolescence of feminising surgery for ambiguous genitalia done in childhood. Lancet. 2001 Jul 14;358(9276):124-25. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(01)05343-0
- Creighton SM, Liao LM. Changing attitudes to sex assignment in intersex. BJU Int. 2004 Mar;93(5):659-64. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-410X.2004.04694.x
- Sane K, Pescovitz OH. The clitoral index: a determination of clitoral size in normal girls and in girls with abnormal sexual development. J Pediatr. 1992:120(2 Pt 1):264-66. doi: 10.1016/S0022-3476(05)80439-1
- Asafo-Agyei SB, Ameyaw E, Chanoine JP, Zacharin M, Nguah SB. Clitoral size in term newborns in Kumasi, Ghana. Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2017;2017:6. doi: 10.1186/s13633-017-0045-y
- Yang J, Felsen D, Poppas DP. Nerve sparing ventral clitoroplasty: analysis of clitoral sensitivity and viability. J Urol. 2007 Oct;178 (4 Pt 2):1598-601. doi: 10.1016/j.juro.2007.05.097
- Yankovic F, Cherian A, Steven L, Mathur A, Cuckow P. Current practice in feminizing surgery for congenital adrenal hyperplasia; a specialist survey. J Pediatr Urol. 2013 Dec;9(6 Pt B):1103-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jpurol.2013.03.013
- Baskin LS, Yuce lS, Cunha GR, Glickman SE, Place NJ. A neuroanatomical comparison of humans and spotted hyena, a natural animal model for common urogenital sinus: clinical reflections on feminizing genitoplasty. J Urol. 2006 Jan;175(1):276-83. doi: 10.1016/S0022-5347(05)00014-5
119991, The Russian Federation,
Moscow, Trubetskaya Str., 8-2,
I.M. Sechenov First Moscow
State Medical University,
Department of Pediatric Surgery
Eduard K. Ayryan
Morozov Dmitry A., MD, Professor, Head of the Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology-Andrology, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Ayryan Eduard K., Assistant of the Department of Pediatric Surgery and Urology-Andrology, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Tcmokaluk Elena N., Assistant of the Pathologic Anatomy Department, A.I. Evdokimov Moscow State University of Medicine and Dentistry, Moscow, Russian Federation
Morozov Kirill D., Student of the Educational Program «Medicine of the Future», I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation.
Sataeva Zifa F., Student of the Pediatric Faculty, I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University, Moscow, Russian Federation.