This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2019 Vol. 27 No 4
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
E.A. ILICHEVA 1,3, D.A. BULGATOV 1,2,3, A.V. ZHARKAYA 1,3, V.N. MAKHUTOV 3, L.B. KORYAKINA 1,3, S.V. RYZHIKOVA 3, A.N. ZAGORODNYAYA 3, T.V. IVANOVA 3
EVALUATION OF FGF23 LEVEL BEFORE AND AFTER SURGICAL TREATMENT OF SECONDARY HYPERPARATHYREOSIS
Irkutsk Scientific Center of Surgery and Traumatology 1,
Irkutsk State Medical University 2,
Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital 3, Irkutsk,
The Russian Federation
Objective. To study the level of FGF23 before and after thesecondary hyperparathyroidism surgical treatment and in the comparison groups in patients receiving hemodialysis divided by the level of parathyroid hormone and in healthy people.
Methods. The level of FGF23; pg/ml in the blood was simultaneouslystudied before and after surgical treatment for secondary hyperparathyroidism in patients undergoing renal replacement therapy. In the comparison groups, the level of FGF23 in the blood was studied in patients receiving dialysis for the terminal stage of chronic kidney disease (CKD). The groups were divided according to the level of intact parathyroid hormone (PTH) in the blood: with hypoparathyroidism (PTH less than 130 pg/ml), with an acceptable level of PTH (130-600 pg/ml), and hyperparathyroidism (PTH more than 600 pg/ml). The level of FGF23 in healthy individuals was also studied. A total of 77 people were examined (33 females and 44 males). To assess the mineral-bone disorders, the standard laboratory examination was performed: a biochemical blood test with electrolytes (albumen, total calcium with albumin correction, phosphorus), PTH in blood.
Results. Data have been obtained that the level of FGF23 in the group of healthy individuals is statistically lower than in the other groups (pU = 0.001). Between groups of people with terminal stage of CKD, the difference in FGF23 is not statistically significant (pU > 0.05).
Conclusions. All patients receiving dialysis, regardless of the severity of secondary hyperparathyroidism before and after surgical treatment, have an increased level of FGF23 in comparison with healthy people. Statistically significant differences in level of FGF23 depending on the presence or absence of secondary hyperparathyroidism and the result of surgical treatment of SHPT were not detected. According to the data obtained, further research is needed to identify the role of FGF23 in the pathogenesis of secondary hyperparathyroidism.
- Egshatyan LV, Rozhinskaya LYa, Kuznetsov NS, Kim IV, Artemova AM, Mordik AI, Pushkina AV, Borisov VN, Shilo VYu, Bukhman AI, Remizov OV, Ilin AV, Sazonova NI,Chernova TO. The treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism in haemodialysis patients’’ refractory to alfacalcidol. Endokrin Khirurgiia. 2012; (2):27-41. http://vidar.ru/Article.asp?fid=ESR_2012_2_27 (In Russ.)
- Assotsiatsiia nefrologov Nauchnoe obshchestvo nefrologov Rossii. Mineral’nye i kostnye narusheniia pri khronicheskoi bolezni pochek (Natsional’nye rekomendatsii) [Elektronnyi resurs]. 2015. http://www.nephro.ru/content/files/recomendations/ckdmbdNationalGuidelines.pdf (data obrashcheniia: 19.09.2018) (In Russ.)
- Volgina G, Seleznev D, Balkarova O, Lovchinsky E. Extraosseous calcification in patients with chronic kidney disease. Vrach. 2012;(7):2-8. http://nephro.rusvrach.ru/archive/vrach-2012-07-01.pdf (In Russ.)
- Volkov MM, Smirnov AV. Radiological assessment of abdominal aortic calcification in patients with chronic kidney disease receiving hemodialysis: the frequency of detection and associated factors. Íåôðîëîãèÿ. 2010;14(3):37-45. doi: 10.24884/1561-6274-2010-14-3-37-45 (In Russ.)
- Degtereva OA, Volkov MM, Sheviakova EV. Kal’tsifikatsiia serdechnykh klapanov u patsientov s khronicheskoi bolezn’iu pochek na dodializnom periode. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2007;9(3):266-67. http://journal.nephro.ru/index.php?r=journal/issueView&journalId=31 (In Russ.)
- KDIGO clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis, evaluation, prevention, and treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD). Kidney Int Suppl. 2009 Aug;(113):S1-130. doi: 10.1038/ki.2009.188
- National Kidney Foundation. K/DOQI clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003 Oct;42(4 Suppl 3):S1-201. doi: 10.1016/S0272-6386(03)00905-3
- Bulgatov D.A., Il’icheva E.A. Spornye voprosy khirurgicheskogo lecheniia vtorichnogo giperparatireoza: obzor literatury. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2017;19(3):359-70. doi: 10.28996/1680-4422-2017-3-359-370 (In Russ.)
- Shutov EV. Value of the factor of growth in the fibroblasts FGF-23 in patients with chronic renal disease. Survey. Lechashchii Vrach. 2012;8:12-19. https://www.lvrach.ru/2012/08/15435495/ (data obrashcheniia: 19.09.2018) (in Russ.)
- Gutierrez O, Isakova T, Rhee E, Shah A, Holmes J, Collerone G, Jüppner H, Wolf M. Fibroblast growth factor-23 mitigates hyperphosphatemia but accentuates calcitriol deficiency in chronic kidney disease. JASN. 2005 Jul;16(7):2205-15. doi: 10.1681/ASN.2005010052
- Gutiérrez OM, Mannstadt M, Isakova T, Rauh-Hain JA, Tamez H, Shah A, Smith K, Lee H, Thadhani R, Jüppner H, Wolf M. Fibroblast growth factor 23 and mortality among patients undergoing hemodialysis. N Engl J Med. 2008 Aug 7;359(6):584-92. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa0706130
- Sato T, Tominaga Y, Ueki T, Goto N, Matsuoka S, Katayama A, Haba T, Uchida K, Nakanishi S, Kazama JJ, Gejyo F, Yamashita T, Fukagawa M. Total parathyroidectomy reduces elevated circulating fibroblast growth factor 23 in advanced secondary hyperparathyroidism. AJKD. 2004 Sep;44(3):481-87. doi: 10.1053/j.ajkd.2004.05.026
- Liao SC, Moi SH, Chou FF, Yang CH, Chen JB. Changes in serum concentrations of fibroblast growth factor 23 and soluble klotho in hemodialysis patients after total parathyroidectomy. Biomed Res Int. 2016; 2016:6453803. doi: 10.1155/2016/6453803
664003, The Russian Federation,
Irkutsk, Krasnoye Vosstaniye Str., 1,
Irkutsk State Medical University,
Hospital Surgery Department.
Tel. 8 (3952) 407809,
Dmitriy A. Bulgatov
Ilicheva Elena A., MD, Professor, Head of the Scientific Department of Clinical Surgery, Irkutsk Scientific Center of Surgery and Traumatology, Surgeon of the Thoracic Surgical Unit, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Bulgatov Dmitriy A., Intramural Post-Graduate Student of the Hospital Surgery Department, Irkutsk State Medical University, Surgeon of the Purulent Surgery Unit ¹1, Irkutsk Scientific Center of Surgery and Traumatology, Surgeon of the Thoracic Surgical Unit, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Zharkaya Anastasia V., PhD, Junior Researcher, Irkutsk Scientific Center of Surgeryand Traumatology, Surgeon of the Endocrinology Center, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Makhutov Valerij N., PhD, Head of the Thoracic Surgical Unit, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Koryakina Larisa B., PhD, Head of the Center of the Laboratory Investigations, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Ryzhikova Svetlana V., Physician of the Center of the Laboratory Investigations, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Ivanova Tatiana V., Physician of the Center of the Laboratory Investigations, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.
Zagorodnyaya Anna N., Physician of the Center of the Laboratory Investigations, Irkutsk Regional Clinical Hospital, Irkutsk, Russian Federation.