This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 6
TRAUMATOLOGY & ORTHOPEDICS
A.A. ZYKIN, N.A. TENILIN, A.A. KORYTKIN, S.A. GERASIMOV
A NEW METHOD FOR OSTEOTOMY OF THE TIBIA FOR AXIAL DEFORMITY CORRECTION OF THE LOWER EXTREMITIES
FSBE "Privolzhsky Federal Research Medical Centre" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To develop a new method of osteotomy of the tibia for axial deformity correction of the lower extremities and to evaluate the results of its application in patients with gonarthrosis at the front deformities greater than 15 degrees.
Methods. The treatment results of 27 patients (aged up to 60 yrs) with gonarthrosis stage II-III who were underwent to corrective osteotomy near the knee joint have been studied. The method of corrective tibia osteotomy was applied in 13 patients (48%) with gonarthrosis stage II-III at a varus deformity of the lower extremities exceeding 15 degrees. The treatment results of the patients with knee gonarthrosis stage II-III assessed using a 100-point Josef and Kaufman scale. The results were evaluated within the monitoring periods of 3, 6, 12, 18 and 24 months.
Results. By using an in-house developed method the high values on the scale of Joseph & Kaufman (61 to 84,5 points) have been obtained corresponding to the results of analogous opening-wedge osteotomies (p>0,1 within a 24-month monitoring period). The best results after 6 months of monitoring were registered in the group of patients operated on by a new technique (p<0,037). The proposed method retaining all the advantages of high osteotomy (rapid and lower impact of consolidation) eliminates the tension of the patellar ligament, allows correcting the axial deformity of an axis shift of more than 15 degrees and ultimately permits patients quickly begin restoring the initial level of physical activity.
Conclusion. The proposed method of corrective osteotomy may be recommended for the normalization of the mechanical axis of a lower extremity in patients with knee gonarthrosis stage II-III and front deformities exceeding 15 degrees. This technique was applied for treatment of 13 patients with obtaining good results.
- Golovakha ML. Algoritm differentsirovannogo lecheniia osteoartroza kolennogo sustava [The algorithm of the differentiated treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee]. Zaporozh Med Zhurn. 2011;(4):16-19.
- Hofmann S, Lobenhoffer P, Staubli A, Van Heerwaarden R. [Osteotomies of the knee joint in patients with monocompartmental arthritis]. Orthopade. 2009 Aug;38(8):755-69; quiz 770. doi: 10.1007/s00132-009-1458-y. [Article in German]
- Kolb W, Guhlmann H, Windisch C, Kolb K, Koller H, Grützner P.Opening-wedge high tibial osteotomy with a locked low-profile plate. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Nov;91(11):2581-8. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.H.01047.
- Moyad TF, Minas T. Opening wedge high tibial osteotomy: a novel technique for harvesting autograft bone. J Knee Surg. 2008 Jan;21(1):80-84.
- Orlianskii V, Golovakha MJI, Shabus R. Korrigiruiushchie osteotomii v oblasti kolennogo sustava [Corrective osteotomy in the knee joint]. Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraina: Porogi, 159 p.
- Miuller B. Vysokaia osteotomiia bol'shebertsovoi kosti: usloviia, pokazaniia, tekhnika, problemy, rezul'taty [High tibial osteotomy: the conditions, indications, techniques, problems and results]. Margo Anterior. 2003;(1-2):2-10. LI>Sangkaew С, Piyapittayanun P.Boomerang proximal tibial osteotomy for the treatment of severe varus gonarthrosis. Int Orthop. 2013 Jun; 37(6): 1055–1061. Published online 2013 Feb 12. doi: 10.1007/s00264-013-1802-z PMCID: PMC3664149.
- Fraitzl СR, Flören M, Reichel H. Kniegelenk - Arthrose und Arthritis Orthopädie und Unfallchirurgie up2date 2008;3(3):155-76. doi: 10.1055/s-2008-1077323.
- Efe T, Ahmed1 G, Heyse1 TJ, Boudriot U, Timmesfeld N, Fuchs-Winkelmann S, Ishaque B , Lakemeier S, Schofer MD. Closing-wedge high tibial osteotomy: survival and risk factor analysis at long-term follow up BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2011, 12:46. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2474-12-46.
- Niemeyer P, Schmal H, Hauschild O, von Heyden J, Südkamp NP, Köstler W. Open-wedge osteotomy using an internal plate fixator in patients with medial-compartment gonarthritis and varus malalignment: 3-year results with regard to preoperative arthroscopic and radiographic findings. Arthroscopy. 2010 Dec;26(12):1607-16. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2010.05.006.
- Lobenhoffer P, Agneskirchner JD. Improvements in surgical technique of valgus high tibial osteotomy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2003 May;11(3):132-38.
- Esenkaya K, Akan UK. Proximal tibial osteotomies for the medial compartment arthrosis of the knee: a historical journey. Strat Traum Limb Recon. 2012;(7):13–21.
- Uquillas C, Rossy W, Nathasingh CK, Strauss E, Jazrawi L, Gonzalez-Lomas G. Osteotomies about the knee: AAOS exhibit selection. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Dec 17;96(24):e199. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.N.00270.
- Makushin VD, Chegurov OK, Kazantsev VI. O roli vnutrikostnoi gipertenzii v geneze bolevogo sindroma pri gonartroze [On the role of intraosseous hypertension in the genesis of pain in gonarthrosis]. Genii Ortopedii. 2000(2):52-55.
- Portner O. High Tibial Valgus Osteotomy: Closing, Opening or Combined? Patellar Height as a Determining Factor Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Nov; 472(11): 3432–3440. Published online 2014 Jul 29. doi: 10.1007/s11999-014-3821-5 PMCID: PMC4182389
603155, Russian Federation,
Nizhny Novgorod, Verhnevolzhskaya naberezhnaya, d. 18,
FGBU "Privolzhskiy federalnyiy meditsinskiy
issledovatelskiy tsentr", tel.: 831 436-01-60,
Zykin Andrey Anatolevich
Zykin A.A. A junior researcher of the orthopedics department (the adults) of FSBE "Privolzhsky Federal Research Medical Centre" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Tenilin N.A. MD, a leading researcher of pediatric orthopedics department of FSBE "Privolzhsky Federal Research Medical Centre" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Korytkin A.A. PhD, a head of the orthopedics department (the adults) of FSBE "Privolzhsky Federal Research Medical Centre" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.
Gerasimov S.A. A traumatologist-orthopedist of the orthopedics department (the adults) of FSBE "Privolzhsky Federal Research Medical Centre" of the Ministry of Health of the Russian Federation.