This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2018 Vol. 26 No 3
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
I. YA. KLETSKO, O.I. KUSHNIRUK
RISK FACTORS OF ACUTE PANCREATITIS AFTER THERAPEUTIC ENDOSCOPIC RETROGRADE CHOLANGIOPANCREATOGRAPHY
Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv,
Objective. To identify significant risk factors for the development of acute pancreatitis after therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.
Methods. The significance of risk factors for post-manipulation pancreatitis was analyzed based on the results of 1801 therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatographies performed in the clinic. To confirm the diagnosis of pancreatitis, to assess the severity stage the Cotton criteria were used. We analyzed the age and gender factors, the influence of the sphincter of Oddi syndrome in association with microlithiasis and parapapillary diverticulum, the ways of the transpapillary access, papillosphincterotomy and balloon dilatation. Possibilities of the intervention were evaluated in the absence of signs of biliary hypertension, and concrements more than 10 mm. The ratio of the chances of occurrence of the event in different periods was determined, with a calculation of 95% confidence interval.
Results. Acute pancreatitis developed in 19 (1.05%) patients. Among them, 7 (36.8%) had a severe destructive form. All cases of pancreatitis were diagnosed after primary intervention (OR 11.81, 95% CI 0.71-196.06, p = 0.011). Significant predictors of pancreatitis after transpapillary interventions were: young patients <40 years (OR 7.54, 95% CI 3.10-18.43, p = 0.00007), more often it occurred in women (OR 5.58, 95 % CI 1.22-17.35, p = 0.008), the presence of microcholedocholithiasis and concrements up to 10 mm in size (OR 4.42, 95% CI 1.23-12.44, p = 0.01), the syndrome of sphincter of Oddi dysfunction (OR 2.80, 95% CI 1.05-6.88, p = 0.03), interventions in the absence of obvious diagnostic signs of biliary hypertension (OR 2.80, 95% CI 1.16-6.96; p = 0.02).
Conclusions. Patient-related risk factors for pancreatitis development after therapeutic cholangiopancreatography remain a «weak spot» for its comprehensive prevention. The risk of developing acute pancreatitis rises 5-10 times if the patient has three or more factors. Atypical methods of papillosphincterotomy are not the significant risk factors for the development of pancreatitis when performed by an experienced specialist. It is necessary to adhere to the principle of multistage in carrying out complex or prolonged transpapillary X-ray endoscopic operations.
- Dumonceau JM, Andriulli A, Deviere J, Mariani A, Rigaux J, Baron TH, Testoni PA. European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline: prophylaxis of post-ERCP pancreatitis. Endoscopy. 2010 Jun;42(6):503-15. doi: 10.1055/s-0029-1244208
- Dumonceau JM, Andriulli A, Elmunzer BJ, Mariani A, Meister T, Deviere J, Marek T, Baron TH, Hassan C, Testoni PA, Kapral C. Prophylaxis of post-ERCP pancreatitis: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline – updated June 2014. Endoscopy. 2014 Sep;46(9):799-15. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1377875
- Mantserov MP, Moroz YeV. Secondary pancreatitis after endoscopic manipulations on the major duodenal papilla. Ros Zhurn Gastroenterologii Gepatologii Koloproktologii. 2007;17(3):14-23. http://www.gastro-j.ru/files/s2_1297619598.pdf (in Russ.)
- Anderson MA, Fisher L, Jain R, Evans JA, Appalaneni V, Ben-Menachem T, Cash BD, Decker GA, Early DS, Fanelli RD, Fisher DA, Fukami N, Hwang JH, Ikenberry SO, Jue TL, Khan KM, Krinsky ML, Malpas PM, Maple JT, Sharaf RN, Shergill AK, Dominitz JA. Complications of ERCP. Gastrointest Endosc. 2012 Mar;75(3):467-73. doi: 10.1016/j.gie.2011.07.010
- Christensen M, Matzen P, Schulze S, Rosenberg J. Complications of ERCP: a prospective study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2004 Nov;60(5):721-31. doi: 10.1016/S0016-5107(04)02169-8
- Donnellan F, Byrne MF. Prevention of Post-ERCP Pancreatitis. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012;(2012):Article ID 796751. 12 p. doi: 10.1155/2012/796751
- Kaliev AA. Analiz letal’nykh iskhodov bol’nykh s destruktivnymi formami ostrogo pankreatita [Elektronnyi resurs]. Sovrem Problemy Nauki i Obrazovaniia. 2013;(5) [data obrashcheniia: 2017 Iiul’ 28]. Available from: https://www.science-education.ru/ru/article/ view?id=10270 (in Russ.)
- Elmunzer BJ. Reducing the risk of post-endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography pancreatitis. Dig Endosc. 2017 Jun 21. doi: 10.1111/den.12908
- Cotton PB, Lehman G, Vennes J, Geenen JE, Russell RC, Meyers WC, Ziguory C, Nickl N. Endoscopic sphincterotomy complications and their management: an attempt at consensus. Gastrointest Endosc. 1991 May-Jun;37(3):383-93. doi: 10.1016/S0016-5107(91)70740-2
- Matviichuk BO, Kushniruk OI, Kletsko IIa, Salo VM, Tumak IIa. Kompleksnaia profilaktika ostrogo pankreatita posle rentgenendoskopicheskikh transpapilliarnykh vmeshatel’stv. Ukr Zhurn Khirurgii. 2013;(3):84-89. http://www.mif-ua.com/archive/article/36668 (in Russ.)
- Masci E, Mariani A, Curioni S, Testoni PA. Risk factors for pancreatitis following endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a meta-analysis. Endoscopy. 2003 Oct;35(10):830-34. doi: 10.1055/s-2003-42614
- Freeman ML, DiSario JA, Nelson DB, Fennerty MB, Lee JG, Bjorkman DJ, Overby CS, Aas J, Ryan ME, Bochna GS, Shaw MJ, Snady HW, Erickson RV, Moore JP, Roel JP. Risk factors for post-ERCP pancreatitis: a prospective, multicenter study. Gastrointest Endosc. 2001 Oct;54(4):425-34. doi: 10.1067/mge.2001.117550
- D’Arpa F, Tutino R, Battaglia EO, Orlando G, Salamone G, Licari L, Gulotta G. Post-ERCP pancreatitis. A single center experience and an update on prevention strategies. Ann Ital Chir. 2015 May-Jun;86(3):234-38. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Giuseppe_Salamone/publication/275585536_Post-ERCP_pancreatitis
- Skude G, Wehli L, Maruyma T, Ariyama J. Hyperamylasemia after duodenoscopy and retrograde Cholangiopancreatography. Gut. 1976 Feb;17(2):127-32. doi: 10.1136/gut.17.2.127
- George S, Kulkarni AA, Stevens G, Forsmark CE, Draganov P. Role of osmolality of contrast media in the development of post-ERCP pancreatitis: a metanalysis. Dig Dis Sci. 2004 Mar;49(3):503-8. doi: 10.1023/B:DDAS.0000020511.98230.20
Lviv, Mikolaychuk Str., 9,
Danylo Halytsky Lviv
National Medical University,
Department of Radiation Diagnostics
of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education
Tel. mobile: +380 93 750-98-24,
Ivan Ya. Kletsko
Kletsko Ivan Ya., Assistant of the Department of Radiation Diagnostics of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine.
Kushniruk Oleksiy I., PhD, Associate Professor of the Department of Surgery and Endoscopy of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education, Danylo Halytsky Lviv National Medical University, Lviv, Ukraine.