This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2016 Vol. 24 No 3
GENERAL & SPECIAL SURGERY
A.V. CHERNYH, E.I. ZAKURDAEV, M.P. ZAKURDAEVA
TO THE QUESTION OF INTERCOSTAL NERVE INJURY PREVENTION AT THE POSTERIOR SEPARATION HERNIOPLASTY OF UMBILICAL HERNIAS
SBEE HPE “Voronezh State Medical University named after N.N. Burdenko”.
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study the specific features of the topography of the intercostal nerves in the celiac area of the anterior abdominal wall.
Methods. The floating corpses (n=88) of both sexes without any pathology of the anterior abdominal wall were studied. There were 45% of male corpses (mean age – 53,8±11,9 years) and 55% – females (51,9±13,2 years).
The topographic anatomical dissection of the intercostal nerves in the celiac area of the anterior abdominal wall with the determination of the level of their penetration into the rectus abdominis in relation to the inferior edge of the costal arch and the external edge of the rectus abdominis muscle had been performed on each corpse.
Results. In this study the intercostal nerves (1-4 pairs) had been identified in the celiac area of the anterior abdominal wall. Most often 2 pairs of intercostal nerves (71%) met in females, while no statistically significant differences were found in males. Intercostal nerves penetrated into the rectus abdominis often via their external edges (52%), more rarely – via posterior surface (39%). In males the variant of the lateral penetration of the intercostal nerves in the rectus abdominis was more common (60%), while in females no statistically significant differences were found. To reduce the risk of intraoperative trauma of the intercostal nerves, the levels of their penetration into the depth of the rectus abdominis muscle had been determined. It had been found out that the distance from the inferior edge of the costal arch on the site of the penetration of rectus abdominis by intercostal nerves was reliably higher in females. The distance from the external edge of the rectus abdominis muscle on the site of the penetration of the muscle thickness by intercostal nerves was significantly greater in males.
Conclusion. The obtained data can be used to predict the topography of the intercostal nerves in the umbilical hernias plasty.
- Baitinger VF, Silkina KA. Chuvstvitel'naia innervatsiia mikrokhirurgicheskikh loskutov, primeniaemykh v rekonstruktivnoi mammoplastike [Sensitive innervation of microsurgical flaps used in reconstructive mammoplasty]. Plast Khirurgiia. 2014;49(2):11-19.
- Bernard C, Polliand C, Mutelica L, Champault G. Repair of giant incisional abdominal wall hernias using open intraperitoneal mesh. Hernia. 2007 Aug;11(4):315-20.
- Gutarra F, Asensio JR, Kohan G, Quarin C, Petrelli L, Quesada BM. Closure of a contained open abdomen using a bipedicled myofascial oblique rectus abdominis flap technique. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2009 Nov;62(11):1490-96. doi: 10.1016/j.bjps.2008.04.037.
- Bezhin AI, Netiaga AA. Sravnitel'noe eksperimental'noe izuchenie novykh polivinilidenftoridnykh endoprotezov s karbinovym pokrytiem dlia gernioplastiki [Comparative experimental study of new polyvinylidene fluoride stents with carbyne coating for hernia repair]. Sistem Analiz i Upravlenie v Biomed Sistemakh. 2006;5(4):802-806.
- Vorob'ev AA, Smirnov AV, Alifanov SA. Novaia forma spaechnogo protsessa pri gryzhakh perednebokovoi stenki zhivota [A new form of adhesions during the anterolateral abdominal wall hernias]. Vopr Rekonstrukt i Plast Khirurgii. 2010;10(1):51-53.
- Koshelev PI, Glukhov AA, Mukhtiar Kh, Leibovich BE. Innovatsionnye puti sovershenstvovaniia metodov nenatiazhnoi gernioplastiki [Innovative ways to improve methods of pull hernioplastics]. Sistem Analiz i Upravlenie v Biomed Sistemakh. 2007;6(2):528-32.
- Paajanen H, Laine H. Operative treatment of massive ventral hernia using polypropylene mesh: a challenge for surgeon and anesthesiologist. Hernia. 2005 Mar;9(1):62-7.
- Skipidarnikov AA, Bezhim AI, Netiaga AA, Skipidarnikova AN. Osobennosti innervatsii priamykh myshts zhivota u liudei s razlichnymi tipami teloslozheniia [Features of the innervation of the rectus muscle in people with different body types]. Chelovek i Ego Zdorov'e. 2013;(1):21-26.
- Parshikov VV, Khodak VA, Petrov VV, Dvornikov AV, Mironov AA, Samsonov AA, i dr. Retromuskuliarnaia plastika briushnoi stenki setkoi [Retro muscular plasty abdominal wall by mesh]. Fundam Issledovaniia. 2012;(7):159-63.
- Awad SS, Bruckner B, Fagan SP. Transperitoneal view of the PROLENE hernia system open mesh repair. Int Surg. 2005;90(3 Suppl):S63-6.
- Moore M, Bax T, MacFarlane M, McNevin MS. Outcomes of the fascial component separation technique with synthetic mesh reinforcement for repair of complex ventral incisional hernias in the morbidly obese. Am J Surg. 2008 May;195(5):575-9; discussion 579. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2008.01.010.
394036, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia,
g. Voronezh, ul. Studencheskaia,
d. 10, GBOU VPO "Voronezhskii
universitet imeni N.N. Burdenko",
kafedra operativnoi khirurgii s
tel.: +7 (951) 566-43-61,
Zakurdaev Evgenii Ivanovich
Chernyh AV, MD, professor, a Vice-rector, head of department of operative surgery with topographic anatomy SBEE HPE "Voronezh State Medical Academy named after N.N. Burdenko". The Russian Federation.
Zakurdaev EI. PhD, an assistant of the department of operative surgery with topographic anatomy SBEE HPE "Voronezh State Medical Academy named after N.N. Burdenko". The Russian Federation.
Zakurdaeva MP, a student of medical faculty of operative surgery with topographic anatomy SBEE HPE "Voronezh State Medical Academy named after N.N. Burdenko". The Russian Federation.