This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 5
N.M. LEMEKHOVA, A.L. PETRUSHIN
OSTEOPOIKILOSIS – A CLINICAL CASE OF RARE OSTEODISPLASIA
SBEH "Karpogory regional hospital"
Settlement of Karpogory
The Russian Federation
Osteopoikilosis is considered as a rare form of sclerotic osteodysplasia, characterized by the appearance of multiple discrete round or ovoid radio densities in cancellous bones (epiphysis and metaphysis). Osteopoikilosis is symmetrical with a predominant involvement of the hands, feet, pelvis and proximal femur. The disease is usually asymptomatic, benign bone dysplasia; it does not affect the quality of life of the patient and requires no special treatment. Osteopoikilosis may have a hereditary factor, or occurs sporadically. The leading role in diagnostic belongs to the X-ray diagnostic research. The differential diagnosis with metastases is required. The clinical case of osteopoikilosis, genetically determined, in the stage of spreading of lesions in woman (31 yr.) is presented. The disease was suspected in the prophylactic fluorography, revealed some focal changes in the proximal epiphysis of the humerus. Radiographs of hands, hip and shoulder joints are found clearly delineated focal bone compactions (up to 0,8 cm). The foci were located in the epiphysis, metaphysis and apophyses of long and short tubular bones and cancellous bone of the pelvis and wrists, their number ranged from 2 to 60. Subjective and objective clinical examination of pathological changes of the skeleton did not reveal. The similar hand radiographic changes on radiographs of hands were revealed in the mother of a patient.
- Il'iushenkova V.V. Lazarikhina L.V. Osteopoikiliia: nabliudenie iz praktiki [Osteopoikilosis: the practical observation]. Tikhookean Med Zhurn. 2007;(3):82-83.
- Subbarao К. Skeletal Dysplasia (Sclerosing dysplasias - Part I) NJRI. July - Dec, 2013.(3)2:10.
- Salikhov IG, Bombina LK, Lapshina SA, Mukhina RG, Chembarisov II, Gaibarian AA. Revmatologicheskie proiavleniia osteopoikilii. Sovremennoe sostoianie problemy [Rheumatologycal manifestations of osteopoikilosis. The current state of the problem. Rheumatology, Neurology, Traumatology]. Revmatologiia, Nefrologiia, Travmatologiia. Prakt Meditsina 2008;(25)1:33-35.
- Benli IT, Akalin S, Boysan E, Mumcu EF, Kiş M, Türkoğlu D.Epidemiological, clinical and radiological aspects of osteopoikilosis. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1992 Jul;74(4):504-6.
- Meena S, Saini P, Chowdhary B.Multiple spots on bone: diagnostic challenge or spot diagnosis? Osteopoikilosis. Neth J Med. 2013 Sep;71(7):372, 376.
- Osteopoikilosis: a sign mimicking skeletal metastases in a cancer patient Sefidbakht S, Ashouri-Taziani Y, Hoseini S, Ansari M, Ahmadloo N, Mosalaei A. Middle East Journal of Cancer 2011;(2):37-41.
- Bansal R, Pathak AC, Sheth B, Patil A.K. Traumatic fracture in a patient of osteopoikilosis with review of literature. J Orthop. Case Report. 2013;(3)2:12-15.
- Chigira M, Kato K, Mashio K, Shinozaki T.Symmetry of bone lesions in osteopoikilosis. Report of 4 cases. Acta Orthop Scand. 1991 Oct;62(5):495-96.
- Sim E. [Osteopoikilosis--fracture healing]. Unfallchirurgie. 1989 Dec;15(6):303-5.[Article in German].
- Siddiqui HQ, Zahid M, Ahmed S, Siddiqui YS. Osteopoikilosis. Saudi Med J. 2011 May;32(5):534-35.
164600, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia ,Arkhangel'skaia obl., p. Karpogory, ul. Lenina, d. 47.
GBUZ AO "Karpogorskaia TsRB", khirurgicheskoe otdelenie
tel.: +7 818 56 2-11-03,
e-mail email@example.com Petrushin Alexander Leonidodovich
Lemekhova N.M., a radiologist of SBEH "Karpogory CRH". Arkhangelsk region.
Petrushin AL, PhD, a surgeon of SBEH "Karpogory CRH". Arkhangelsk region.