This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2014 Vol. 22 No 6
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
G.A. SMIRNOV, V.V. PETROVA, T. GVAZAVA, A.V. REMEZOV, V.P. AKIMOV
THE ROLE OF THE VENOUS SYSTEM LESION IN PATHOGENESIS OF DIABETIC FOOT SYNDROME
SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”, Saint-Petersburg,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study the feature changes of the lower limbs veins in the diabetic foot syndrome.
Methods. The results of the macro- and microscopic investigations of the lower limb veins have been analyzed. The preparations obtained after the lower limb amputation or at the autopsy of 70 patients have been studied. The preparations were subdivided into 3 groups: 30 preparations were of the patients with the pyo-necrotic complications of diabetic foot syndrome (DFS), 20 preparations – of chronic venous diseases patients (CVD), 20 – without any lower limb venous pathology. Macroscopic research with venous state estimation has been carried out. Microscopic investigation on micropreparations obtained from macropreparations has been conducted. Immunohistochemical study with the assessment of collagen type IV deposition in the venous wall has been performed.
Results. The results in macroscopic research of the preparations of the lower limb vein have shown the reliable difference between samples of different groups by a number of parameters, such as paravasal tissue edema, vein wall thickness, presence of areas of veins expansion diameter, paravasal fibrosis and phlebotrombosis. Microscopic research has demonstrated high frequency of intramural and paravasal fibrosis, musculas layer disorganization, endothelial mis-proliferation and phlebotrombosis in the lower limb veins of patients with DFS. There was no incidence of chronic vein wall inflammation and venous valve destruction. During immunohistochemical studies in 19 out of 20 cases the collagen type IV hyperproduction in the subendothelial space has been found out in the lower limb venous preparations in case of DFS.
Conclusion. Changes of the venous system in diabetic foot syndrome differ from those in chronic venous insufficiency and manifest by primary lesions of deep veins, marked fibrosis, tendency towards phlebothrombosis without valve affection as well as chronic inflammations of the venous wall.
- Prandoni P, Bilora F, Marchiori A, Bernardi E, Petrobelli F, Lensing AW, Prins MH, Girolami A. An association between atherosclerosis and venous thrombosis. N Engl J Med. 2003 Apr 10;348(15):1435–41.
- Marston B. Venous disease in diabetic: Incidence, impact and intervention. SVS Postgraduate Course 2011. www.vascularweb.org.
- Vasiutkov VIa, Protsenko NV. Troficheskie iazvy stopy i goleni [Trophic ulcers of foot and leg]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina, 1993. 160 p.
- Iablokov EG, Kirienko AI, Bogachev VIu. Khronicheskaia venoznaia nedostatochnost' [Chronic venous insufficiency]. Moscow, RF. 1999. 126 p.
- Vasiutkov VIa, Bogachev VIu. Venoznye troficheskie iazvy nizhnikh konechnostei [Venous trophic leg ulcers]. Sovr sostoianie voprosa. RMZh. Khirurgiia. 1999;7(13):616–20.
- Liubarskii MS, Shevela AI. Metody limfodiagnostiki i otsenki effektivnosti lecheniia limfedemy, limfovenonoi patologii i troficheskikh iazv [Methods of lymph diagnosis and evaluate of the effectiveness of treatment of lymphedema, lymphogenous disease and trophic ulcers]. Ros Med Vesti. 2004;(3):69–70.
- Sansilvestri-Morel P, Rupin A, Badier-Commander C, Kern P, Fabiani JN, Verbeuren TJ, Vanhoutte PM. Imbalance in the synthesis of collagen type I and collagen type III in smooth muscle cells derived from human varicose veins. J Vasc Res. 2001 Nov-Dec;38(6):560–68.
- Williamson JR, Ostrow E, Eades D, Chang K, Allison W, Kilo C, Sherman WR. Glucose-induced microvascular functional changes in nondiabetic rats are stereospecific and are prevented by an aldose reductase inhibitor. J Clin Invest. 1990 Apr;85(4):1167–72.
- Iushkov PV, Opalenov KV. Morfogenez mikroangiopatii pri sakharnom diabete [Morphogenesis of microangiopathy in diabetes mellitus]. Sakharnyi Diabet. 2001;(1):53–56.
- Dolgov VV, Svirin PV. Laboratornaia diagnostika narushenii gemostaza [Laboratory diagnosis of hemostatic disorders]. Moscow-Tver': OOO Izdatel'stvo Triada, 2005. 227 p.
- Ignatova MS. Gematuriia pri nasledstvennykh nefropatiiakh [Hematuria in hereditary nephropathy]. Nefrologiia i Dializ. 2006;8(4):363–69.
- Ìóõèí ÍÀ. Ñèíäðîì Ãóäïàñ÷åðà: îñîáåííîñòè ïàòîãåíåçà, ïîäõîäû ê ëå÷åíèþ [Goodpasture's syndrome: characteristics of pathogenesis, treatment approaches]. Êëèí Íåôðîëîãèÿ. 2009;(4):37–44.
- Tsukanov IuT, Tsukanov AIu, Shcheglov AIu, Mozgovoi SI. Patomorfoologicheskie aspekty varikoznogo porazheniia ven nizhnei poloviny tulovishcha [Pathological aspects of varicose veins effection of the lower half of the body]. Vestn Sankt-Peterburg Gos Un-ta. 2006; 11(3):50–61.
- Savel'ev VS /red., Gologorskii VA, Kirienko AI. i dr. Flebologiia: Rukovodstvo dlia vrachei [Phlebology: a guide for physicians]. Moscow, RF: Meditsina. 2001. 664 p.
- Grinshpun, MN, Mazovets-kii AG, Galenok VA. Klinicheskoe znachenie opredeleniia glikozilirovannykh gemoglobinov u bol'nykh sakharnym diabetom [Clinical significance of determination of glycosylated hemoglobin in diabetic patients]. Probl Endokrinologii. 1983;(6):80–85.
- Balabolkin MI. Endokrinologiia [Endocrinology]. Moscow. SSSR. Universum Pablishing. 1998, 599 p.
191015, Rossiyskaya Federatsiya,
g. Sankt-Peterburg, ul. Kirochnaya,
d. 41, GBOU VPO «Severo-Zapadnyiy
gosudarstvennyiy meditsinskiy universitet
kafedra khirurgii im. N.D. Monastyirskogo,
tel. mob. 7-911-919-01-82,
e-mail: akimov.spbmapo@ mail.ru,
Akimov Vladimir Pavlovich
Smirnov G.A. A post-graduate student of the surgery chair named after N.D.Monastyrsky of SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”.
Petrova V.V. PhD, associate professor of the surgery chair named after N.D.Monastyrsky of SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”.
Gvazava T. A post-graduate student of the surgery chair named after N.D.Monastyrsky of SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”.
Remezov A.V. A post-graduate student of the surgery chair named after N.D.Monastyrsky of SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”.
Akimov V.P. MD, professor, a head of the surgery chair named after N.D.Monastyrsky of SBEE HPE “North-West State Medical University named after I.I. Mechnikov”.