This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 5
A.V. RUSIN1,2, V.I. RUSIN1, O.M. ODOSHEVSKAYA1, O.T. DEVINYAK1
SOME PROBLEMS OF BREAST CANCER SCREENING DEMONSTRATED BY THE EXAMPLE OF TRANSCARPATHIAN REGION
SHEE ”Uzhgorod National University”1
Transcarpathian Regional Clinical Oncologic Hospital2, Uzhgorod,
Objectives. To identify the level of breast cancer knowledge among Transcarpathian women, factors influencing on the conversance, predictors for breast self-examination. To study and analyze the main motivation for passing a special examination of the mammary glands, untimely consult physician.
Methods. The article suggests the research results of knowledge level as well as attitude to breast cancer on the basis of surveys of 100 women (aged 29-82 years) without any complaints and history of breast cancer. The main characteristics were: age, residence, nationality, education level, marital status. Statistical analysis of data was carried in the environment for statistical computations R.
Results. 100 women have been interviewed, most of them – the married Ukrainians with the secondary education. 85% of the surveyed women had insufficient or inadequate knowledge about breast cancer. Chance to demonstrate high knowledge among residents of the urban area is 4-fold higher than for rural ones. Statistically significant predictors of performing breast self-examination are considered to be the levels of knowledge about breast cancer and education. Convincing argument in favor of the medical examination of the mammary glands should be recommendations made by physicians. The main obstacle to pass the regular examination is the lack of mandatory preventive medical inspection and misgiving to know the diagnosis.
Conclusions. To improve the diagnosis of breast cancer the public health authorities should strengthen advocacy effort work at the regional level and implementation of pilot screening programs.
- Siegel R, Naishadham D, Jemal A. Cancer statistics, 2012. CA Cancer J Clin. 2012 Jan-Feb;62(1):10–29.
- Porter P. Westernizing women's risks? Breast cancer in lower-income countries. N Engl J Med. 2008 Jan 17;358(3):213–6.
- Breast cancer in limited-resource countries: early detection and access to care. Smith RA, Caleffi M, Albert US, Chen TH, Duffy SW, Franceschi D, Nystrom L. Breast J. 2006 Jan-Feb;12 Suppl 1:S16–26.
- Fedorenko ZP, Gulak LO, Mikhailovich IuI, Gorokh ªL, Rizhov AIu, Sumk³na OV, Kutsenko LB, Nedospasova OP. Gol red. Shchepot³n ².B. Rak v Ukra¿n³, 2011 – 2012. Zakhvoriuvan³st', smertn³st', pokazniki d³ial'nost³ onkolog³chno¿ sluzhbi [Morbidity, mortality, indicator of activity of oncological service]. Biul Nat Kantser-reestr Ukra¿ni. Vidannia 14 Ki¿v – 2013. 38 ñ.
- Semiglazov VF, Semiglazov VV. Skrining raka molochnoi zhelezy [Screening of breast cancer]. Prakt Onkol. 2010;11(2):60–65.
- Tfayli A, Temraz S, Abou Mrad R, Shamseddine A. Breast cancer in low- and middle-income countries: an emerging and challenging epidemic. J Oncol. 2010. Available from: http://www.dx.doi.org.
- Remennick L. The challenge of early breast cancer detection among immigrant and minority women in multicultural societies. Breast J. 2006 Jan-Feb;12 Suppl 1:S103–10.
- Yip CH, Smith RA, Anderson BO, Miller AB, Thomas DB, Ang ES, Caffarella RS, Corbex M, Kreps GL, McTiernan A; Guideline implementation for breast healthcare in low- and middle-income countries: early detection resource allocation. Cancer. 2008 Oct 15;113(8 Suppl):2244–56..
- Vysotskaia IV. Vozmozhnosti uluchsheniia skrininga raka molochnoi zhelezy [Opportunities of improvement of breast cancer screening]. Opukholi Zhen Reprodukt Sistem. 2010;(4):28–32.
- R Core Team (2012). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- Ordinal-regression models for ordinal data (R package version 2011.08-12)[Computer software manual] AuthorsR Christensen Publication date2011
- Sdvizhkov AM, Borisov VI, Vasil'eva ID, Evtiagin VV, Kropacheva TD, Svichkar' IP. Opyt provedeniia mammograficheskogo skrininga v Moskve [Experience of mammography screening conduction in Moscow]. Ross Onkol Zhurnal. 2009;(4):33–36.
- Tu SP, Reisch LM, Taplin SH, Kreuter W, Elmore JG. Breast self-examination: self-reported frequency, quality, and associated outcomes. J Cancer Educ. 2006 Fall;21(3):175–81.
- Informatsiia o blagotvoritel'noi programme AVON Vmeste protiv raka grudi [Information about the philanthropic program of AVON Together against breast cancer] http://www.avonprotyraku.org.ua/ua/about-progam
- Parsa P, Kandiah M, Abdul Rahman H, Zulkefli NM. Barriers for breast cancer screening among Asian women: a mini literature review. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2006 Oct-Dec;7(4):509–14.
88014, Ukraina, g. Uzhgorod, ul. Brodlakovicha, d. 2, Zakarpatskii oblastnoi klinicheskii onkologicheskii dispanser,
Odoshevskaia Elena Mikhailovna
Rusin A.V. MD, professor, a head of the chair of oncology with the courses of radiation medicine and intensive care of medical faculty of SHEE "Uzhgorod National University", a chief physician of Transcarpathian regional clinical oncology center.
Rusin V.I. MD, professor, a head of the chair of surgical diseases of medical faculty of SHEE "Uzhgorod National University".
Odoshevskaya E.M. A post-graduate of the chair of oncology, radiation medicine and critical care of medical faculty of SHEE "Uzhgorod National University".
Devinyak O.T. An assistant of the chair of pharmaceutical sciences of medical faculty of SHEE "Uzhgorod National University".