This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 4
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
V.I. BELOKONEV 1,2, A.B. NASIBYAN 1,3, J.V. PONOMAREVA1
OPTIONS OF OPERATIONS IN PATIENTS WITH RECCURENT INGUINAL HERNIA AFTER PROSTHETIC HERNIOPLASTY
SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University” 1,
MMBE “City Clinical Hospital ¹1 named after N.I. Pirogov” 2, Samara
SBME ND “Kinel central city and regional hospital” 3,
The Russian Federation
Objective. To improve the treatment results of patients with inguinal hernia recurrence after prosthetic hernioplasty through the development of operation methods, allowing to minimize damage to the elements of the inguinal canal and close the defect in the zone of the inguinal canal with a view of destroyed tissue elements in it.
Methods. The analysis of the treatment of 24 patients with recurrent inguinal hernia by Lichtenstein hernioplasty (with synthetic materials application) – in 16 (66,7%), the combined method – in 3 (12,5%), laparoscopic hernioplasty – in 5 (20,8%) has been conducted. In re-plasty a combined method (modification of Lichtenstein hernioplasty) is used with the new developed technique of operation combined with the methods of restoration of the destroyed inguinal ligament partially or completely in which the allocation of the hernial sac, the closing of the newly formed hernial gate have been conducted with the exception of direct contact with spermatic cord.
Results. During performance of repeated operations it was found that after prosthetic hernioplasty, recurrences can be caused by displacement of the prosthesis along the upper and lower contours without and combined with the destruction of the inguinal ligament. To prevent the complications of repeated operations in patients with the recurrent inguinal hernia the separation of prosthesis from spermatic cord technically should be excluded that achieved by localization of the access above the zone of incision of aponeurosis made during the previous operation. Out of 9 patients operated by a combined method, the complications occurred in 4 patients, only 1 case out of 15 underwent a new method of the operation. Intraoperative orchiectomy not connected with the spermatic cord damage was required in 1 case. Hernia recurrences were not noted in the observed period (1-5 years).
Conclusions. The use of a new method of the operation in which the intervention carried out outside of the contact zone of spermatic cord with a synthetic graft confirmed the effectiveness of this approach.
- Podergin AV, Khal'zov VL. Neudachi gryzhesechenii s plastikoi polipropilenovoi setkoi [Failures of hernia repair with polypropylene mesh plasty]. Gerniologiia. 2007;(2):22–24.
- Bereznitskii IaS, Astakhov GV, Kutovoi MA, Kuryliak SN. Opyt lecheniia pakhovykh gryzh s primeneniem maloinvazivnykh tekhnologii [Treatment of inguinal hernia using the mini-invasive techniques: our experience]. Ukr Zhurn Khirurgii. 2009;(4):11–13.
- Lichtenstein IL, Shulman AG, Amid PK, Montllor MM. The tension-free hernioplasty. Am J Surg. 1989 Feb;157(2):188–93.
- Brough V, Deans G, Sedman H, Royston Ch. The first 1000 laparoscopic hernia repairs. Minimally Invasive Therapy. 1995;4(l):29.
- Berrevoet F, Maes L, Reyntjens K, Rogiers X, Troisi R, de Hemptinne B. Transinguinal preperitoneal memory ring patch versus Lichtenstein repair for unilateral inguinal hernias. Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2010 Jun;395(5):557–62.
- Koning GG, Koole D, de Jongh MA, de Schipper JP, Verhofstad MH, Oostvogel HJ, Vriens PW. The transinguinal preperitoneal hernia correction vs. Lichtenstein’s technique; is TIPP top? Hernia. 2011 Feb;15(1):19–22.
- Maillart JF, Vantournhoudt P, Piret-Gerard G, Farghadani H, Mauel E. Transinguinal preperitoneal groin hernia repair using a preperitoneal mesh preformed with a permanent memory ring: a good alternative to Lichtenstein’s technique. Hernia. 2011 Jun;15(3):289–95.
- Koning GG, Andeweg CS, Keus F, van Tilburg MW, van Laarhoven CJ, Akkersdijk WL. The transrectus sheath preperitoneal mesh repair for inguinal hernia: technique, rationale, and results of the first 50 cases. Hernia. 2012 Jun;16(3):295–99.
- Belokonev VI, Nasibian AB, Revin O.N. Sposob lecheniia retsidivnykh pakhovykh gryzh [A method of recurrent inguinal hernia treatment]. Patent Ros Federatsii. 2473315 MPK A61B17/00; zaiavl. 12.01.2011; opubl. 27.01.2013.
- Belokonev VI, Ponomarev OA, Ponomarev AS, Chukhrov KIu, Kovaleva ZV, Zavodchikov DA, Podgornova RF. Sposob provedeniia gryzhesecheniia pri slozhnykh pakhovykh gryzhakh [The method of hernia repair for complex inguinal hernias]. Patent Ros Federatsii. 2365340 A61B17/00; zaiavl. 21.03.2006; opubl. 27.08.2009.
- Belokonev VI, Nasibian AB, Revin ON, Nagoga AG. Sposob obrazovaniia pakhovoi sviazki [The method of inguinal ligament forming]. Patent Ros Federatsii. 2460475 A61B17/00; zaiavl. 12.01.2011; opubl. 10.09.2012.
- Vlasov VV. Vvedenie v dokazatel'nuiu meditsinu [Introduction to evidence-based medicine]. Moscow, RF: Media Sfera; 2001. 392 p.
- Kotel'nikov GP, Shpigel' AS. Dokazatel'naia meditsina. Nauchno obosnovannaia meditsinskaia praktika [Evidence-based medicine. Evidence-based medical practice]: monografiia. 2-e izd, pererab. i dop. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR-Media; 2012. 242 p.
- Nyhus LM. Individualization of hernia repair: a new era. Surgery. 1993 Jul;114(1):1–2.
- Kiladze M, Gvenetadze T, Giorgobiani G. Modified Lichtenshtein hernioplasty prevents male infertility. Ann Ital Chir. 2009 Jul-Aug;80(4):305–09.
- Bringman S, Conze J, Cuccurullo D, Deprest J, Junge K, Klosterhalfen B, Parra-Davila E, Ramshaw B, Schumpelick V. Hernia repair: the search for ideal meshes. Hernia. 2010 Feb;14(1):81–87.
- Junge K, Binnebosel M, Kauffmann C, Rosch R, Klink C, von Trotha K, Schoth F, Schumpelick V, Klinge U. Damage to the spermatic cord by the Lichtenstein and TAPP procedures in a pig model. Surg Endosc. 2011 Jan;25(1):146–52.
443099, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia, g. Samara, ul. Chapaevskaia, d. 89, GBOU VPO «Samarskii gosudarstvennyi meditsinskii universitet», kafedra khirurgicheskikh boleznei ¹2,
Belokonev Vladimir Ivanovich
Belokonev V.I. Honored physician of Russian Federation, MD, professor, a head of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.
Nasibyan A.B. A surgeon of SBME ND “Kinel central city and regional hospital”, extramural post-graduate student of the surgical diseases chair ¹2 of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.
Ponomareva J.V. PhD, a senior researcher of the Institute of experimental medicine and biotechnologies of SBEE HPE “Samara State Medical University”.