This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2013 Vol. 21 No 2
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
SURGICAL TREATMENT OF EXTENSIVE AND GIANT VENTRAL INCISIONAL HERNIAS
SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”1,
NGHA “Railway Clinical Hospital at the station Irkutsk - Passenger” of JSC “Russian Railways”2,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To evaluate effectiveness of surgical treatment of extensive and giant incisional hernias with the developed method of “the cut mesh prosthesis”.
Methods. Prospective investigation including 48 patients was conducted. Two groups were allocated. 27 patients who were subjected to plasty using the designed “the cut mesh prosthesis” method made up the main group (MG); 21 patients who underwent Shumpelik’s surgery made up the group of clinical comparison (GCC). The designed method differs from the existed ones in the way of endoprosthesis fixation in the tissues. Endoprosthesis is not sewed to the tissues but fixed by means of strips cut to its edges. Multislice computed tomography (MSCT) with hernioabdomenometry and surface electromyography (EMG) were carried out before and after the intervention. The number and character of complications were evaluated in the early postoperative period. Recurrences and life quality were analyzed in long-term period.
Results. Out of 27 main group patients early postoperative complications were revealed in 4 (14,8%) and in the group of clinical comparison (n=21) the complications developed in 6 (28,6%) of patients. At electromyography of the straight abdominal muscles in patients the electropotentials were irregular and low amplitude in both main and clinical comparison groups before the operation. One year after operation more significant restoration of the biopotentials of straight muscles was observed. No recurrences were revealed in the main group in the long-term period up to five years. Two hernia recurrences were revealed in the group of clinical comparison. While evaluating the life quality in the main group patients an increase of physical and psychological components of health was registered in contrast to the comparative group (ð<0,01).
Conclusions. The designed method of “the cut mesh prosthesis” increases effectiveness of patients’ treatment with extensive and giant incisional hernias by reducing of recurrences and reliable improvement of patients’ life quality.
- Sinenchenko GI, Romashkin-Timanov MV, Kurygin AA. Bezretsidivnoe khirurgicheskoe lechenie posleoperatsionnykh ventral'nykh gryzh kak sotsial'naia problema [Non-recurrent surgical treatment of postoperative ventral hernia as a social problem ]. Vestn Khirurgii im II Grekova. 2006;(1):15–17.
- White TJ, Santos MC, Thompson JS. Factors affecting wound complications in repair of ventral hernias. Am Surg. 1998 Mar;64(3):276–80.
- Egiev VN. Nenatiazhnaia gernioplastika [Non-tension hernioplasty]. Moscow, RF: MEDPRAKTIKA-M; 2002. 147 p.
- Izmailov SG, Maiorov IuA, Troitskii KI, Nechaev KG, Zadov NS. Predoperatsionnaia podgotovka bol'nykh s bol'shimi posleoperatsionnymi gryzhami [Preoperative preparation of patients with large postoperative hernias]. Gerniologiia. 2006;(3):20–21.
- Iagudin MK. Rol' etapnoi rekonstruktsii briushnoi stenki pri bol'shikh i gigantskikh posleoperatsionnykh gryzhakh [The role of the gradual reconstruction of the abdominal wall in postoperative large and giant hernias]. Khirurgiia. 2005;(9):69–72.
- Zhebrovskii VV, El'bashir MT. Khirurgiia gryzh zhivota i eventratsii [Hernia surgery of abdomen and eventrations]. Simferopol', Ukraina: Biznes-Inform; 2002. 438 p.
- Timoshin AD, Iurasov AV, Shestakov AL. Khirurgicheskoe lechenie pakhovykh i posleoperatsionnykh gryzh briushnoi stenki [Surgical treatment of inguinal and postoperative hernias of abdominal wall]. Moscow, RF: Triada-Õ; 2003. 144 p.
- Schumpelick V, Klinge U, Rosch R, Conze J, Junge K. How to Treat the Recurrent Incisional Hernia: Open Repair in the Midline. In: Schumpelick V, Fitzgibbons RJ, ed. Recurrent Hernia Prevention and Treatment. Berlin: Springer-Verlag Heidelberg; 2007. p. 191–97.
- Shalashov SV, Mikhailov AL, Usol'tsev IuK, Egorov IA. Sposob plastiki pri posleoperatsionnykh ventral'nykh gryzhakh [Method of plasty in postoperative ventral hernias]. Pat. ¹ 2366367 RF, A61B17/00. 2009 Sep 10. Biul;(23).
- Kulikov LK, Buslaev OA, Shalashov SV, Egorov IA, Mikhailov AL. Sposob plastiki pri bol'shikh posleoperatsionnykh ventral'nykh gryzhakh [Method of plasty of large postoperative ventral hernias]. Pat ¹ 2458640 RF. 2011 Mar 29. Biul;(23).
- Toskin KD, Zhebrovskii VV. Gryzhi briushnoi stenki [Hernias of the abdominal wall]. Moscow, RF. Meditsina; 1990. 272 p.
- Nikolaev SG. Praktikum po klinicheskoi elektromiografii [A practical guide on clinical electromyography]. Ivanovo, RF; 2003. 264 p.
- Kulikov LK, Smirnov AA. Abdominal'nyi kompartment – sindrom: ucheb posobie [Abdominal compartment – syndrome: a study guide]. Irkutsk, RF: RIO IGIUVa; 2008. 60 p.
- Dobrovol'skii SR, Abaurakhmanov IuKh, Azhamynchiev EK, Abaullaeva AA. Issledovanie kachestva zhizni bol'nykh v khirurgii [The study of life quality in surgery]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2008;12:73–76.
- Ware JE Jr, Sherbourne CD. The MOS 36-item short-form health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Med Care. 1992 Jun;30(6):473–83.
664079, Rossiiskaia Federatsiia, g. Irkutsk, m-n. Iubileinyi 100, GBOU DPO «Irkutskaia gosudarstvennaia meditsinskaia akademiia poslediplomnogo obrazovaniia», kafedra khirurgii,
Kulikov Leonid Konstantinovich
Kulikov L.M. MD, professor, a head of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”.
Buslaev O.A. A head of the surgical department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk-Passenger ” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Shalashov S.V. PhD, a surgeon of the surgical department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk-Passenger” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Smirnov A.A. PhD, an assistant of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”. Mikhaylov A.L. A surgeon of the surgical department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk-Passenger ” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Egorov I.A. A surgeon of the surgical department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk- Passenger” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Shadarov l.P. A physician of the functional diagnostics department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk-Passenger” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Sobolev S.T. PhD, a physician of the functional diagnostics department of NGHA “Railway clinical hospital at the station Irkutsk- Passenger” of JSC “Russian Railways”.
Sobotovich V.F. PhD, associate professor of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”.
Privalov U.A. PhD, associate professor of the surgery chair of SBEE APE “Irkutsk State Medical Academy of Post-Graduate Education”.