This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 5
TRAUMATOLOGY AND ORTHOPEDICS
A.N. MASTYKAU, V.P. DEYKALO, K.B. BALABOSHKA
PLATELET-ENRICHED PLASMA IN TREATMENT OF POSTTRAUMATIC CHONDROPATHY OF THE KNEE JOINT
EE “Vitebsk State Medical University”
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To improve the results of complex treatment of patients with posttraumatic chondropathy of the knee joint using in-traarticular injections of platelet-enriched plasma.
Methods. Treatment results of 55 patients who had undergone different traumas of the knee joint with the arthroscopically verified diagnosis “posttraumatic chondropathy” were studied. Intraarticular injection of platelet-enriched plasma was used in the treatment of 31 patients with posttraumatic cartilage defects in the knee joint. The control group included 24 patients with posttraumatic chondropathy who were not injected platelet-enriched plasma. To evaluate treatment efficacy, besides clinical investigation methods, we used the evaluation scale of outcomes of injuries and diseases of the knee joint – KOOS 2 and 6 months after the course of treatment.
Results. The performed research has shown that 6 months after the course of the intraarticular injection of platelet-enriched plasma, the patients were characterized by reliably higher indexes of subscales “symptoms” (p<0,01), function in daily living” (p<0,01), “function in sport and recreation” (p<0,01) and “knee-related quality of life” (p<0,01) and summarized index on the KOOS scale (ð<0,01)if compared with the patients of the control group. We haven’t revealed any side-effects and complications while applying this method of treatment.
Conclusions. Using platelet-enriched plasma for intraarticular injections permits to improve significantly the indexes of the functional state of the knee joint as well as the life quality of patients with posttraumatic chondropathy. This method is up-to-date, effective and simple in use and is promissory for treatment of the given pathology.
1. Joern WPM, Schluter-Brust KU, Peer E. The epidemiology, etiology, diagnosis, and treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2010 March; 107(9):152–62.
2. Widuchowski W, Widuchowski J, Trzaska T. Articular cartilage defects: study of 25,124 knee arthroscopies. Knee. 2007 Jun;14(3):177–82.
3. Wong M, Carter DR. Articular cartilage functional histomorphology and mechanobiology: a research perspective. Bone. 2003 Jul;33(1):1–13. Review.
4. Newman AP. Articular cartilage repair. Am J Sport Med. 1998 Mar-Apr;26(2):309–24. Review.
5. Loken S, Heir S, Holme I, Engebretsen L, Aroen A. 6-year follow-up of 84 patients with cartilage defects in the knee. Knee scores improved but recovery was incomplete. Acta Orthop. 2010 Oct;81(5):611–18.
6. Marijnissen AC, Lafeber FP. Re: Hunziker EB. Articular cartilage repair: basic science and clinical progress. A review of the current status and prospects. Osteoarthritis and cartilage 2002; 10:432-63. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2003 Apr; 11(4):300–1; author reply 302–4.
7. Eismont OL, Skakun PG, Borisov AV, Bukach VA, Maliuk B.V, Bukach DV, Pipkin AM, Peresada AS. Sovremennye vozmozhnosti i perspektivy khirurgicheskogo lecheniia povrezhdenii i zabolevanii sustavnogo khriashcha [Modern possibilities and prospects of surgical treatment of injuries and diseases of the articular cartilage]. Med Novosti. 2008;(7):12–19.
8. Roberts S, Menage J, Sandell LJ, Evans EH, Richardson JB. Immunohistochemical study of collagen types I and II and procollagen IIA in human cartilage repair tissue following autologous chondrocyte implantation. Knee. 2009 Oct;16(5):398–404.
9. Erggelet C, Mandelbaum BR. Principles of Cartilage Repair. Germany: Steinkopff Verlag; 2008. 119 p.
10.Geremicca W, Fonte C, Vecchio S. Blood components for topical use in tissue regeneration: evaluation of corneal lesions treated with platelet lysate and considerations on repair mechanisms. Blood Transfus. 2010 Apr;8(2):107–12.
11. Everts PA, Knape JT, Weibrich G, Schonberger JP, Hoffmann J, Overdevest EP, Box HA, van Zundert A. Platelet-rich plasma and platelet gel: a review. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2006 Jun;38(2):174–87.
12. Marx R, Garg A. Dental and craniofacial applications of platelet-rich plasma. Carol Stream: Quintessence Publishing Co, Inc.; 2005. 221 p.
13. Deikalo VP, Mastykov AN, Boloboshko KB. Obogashchennaia trombotsitami plazma v lechenii zabolevanii i povrezhdenii oporno-dvigatel'nogo apparata [Platelet-rich plasma in the treatment of diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system]. Vestn VGMU. 2011;10(4):6–12.
14. Kon E, Buda R, Filardo G, Di Martino A, Timoncini A, Cenacchi A, Fornasari PM, Giannini S, Marcacci M. Platelet-rich plasma: intra-articular knee injections produced favorable results on degenerative cartilage lesions. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010 Apr;18(4):472–79.
15. Sanchez M, Anitua E, Azofra J, Aguirre JJ, Andia I. Intra-articular injection of an autologous preparation rich in growth factors for the treatment of knee OA: a retrospective cohort study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2008 Sep-Oct;26(5):910–13.
16. Cameron ML, Briggs KK, Steadman JR. Reproducibility and reliability of the outerbridge classification for grading chondral lesions of the knee arthroscopically. Am J Sports Med. 2003 Jan-Feb;31(1):83–6.
210023, Respublika Belarus, g. Vitebsk, pr. Frunze, d. 27, UO «Vitebskiy gosudarstvennyiy meditsinskiy universitet», kafedra travmatologii, ortopedii i VPH,
Mastyikov Anton Nikolaevich
Mastykau A.N. Post-Graduate Student of the Traumatology, Orthopedics and Military-Field Surgery Chair of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University.
Deykalo V.P. Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Rector of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University.
Balaboshka K.B. Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Traumatology, Orthopedics and Military-field Surgery Chair of EE “Vitebsk State Medical University.