This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 3
I.V. MISHIN 1,2, A.V. DANCH 3
MUCOCELE OF THE APPENDIX
National scientific practical center of the urgent medicine 1,
N.A.Testemitsanu State University of Medicine and Pharmacy 2,
Republican hospital of medical sanatorium and restorative association 3,
The Republic of Moldova
Mucocele of the appendix is the obstructive dilatation of the appendix with the gelatinous masses accumulation in the lumen. Mucocele of the appendix is rather rare and composes 0,3-0,7% of all appendectomies and 8% of all tumors of the appendix. Taking into account the given pathology rareness the authors have described their own clinical observation of mucocele of the appendix in a 40-year-old patient who had been operated on for acute appendicitis. Taking into consideration that the appendix base and the cecum cupola were not involved in the pathological process, a standard appendectomy was performed. There was mucinous cystadenoma of the appendix at the histological investigation of the preparation. The postoperative period was rather even. The wound healed by first intention.
There were no complaints at the control examination 12 months afterwards; the ultrasound data and colonoscopy revealed no pathology. The level of tumormarkers of carcinoembryonic antigen, ÑÀ-19-9 and ÑÀ-125 was normal. The authors described in details the questions concerning pathogenesis and possible complications of mucocele of the appendix, the peculiarities of the radiological diagnostics as well as the choice of the operative intervention volume in various cases.
1. Ruiz-Tovar J. Mucocele of the appendix. World J Surg. 2007:31(3):542–48.
2. Dhage-Ivatury S, Dhage-Ivatury S, Sugarbaker PH. Update on the surgical approach to mucocele of the appendix. J Am Coll Surg. 2006;202(4):680–84.
3. Kleemann M. Mucocele of the appendix – a heterogenous surgical pathology. Zentralbl Chir. 2010;135(4):330–35.
4. Stocchi L, Wolff BG, Larson DR, Harrington JR. Surgical treatment of appendiceal mucocele. Arch Surg. 2003 Jun;138(6):585–89. discussion 589–90.
5. Higa E, Rosai J, Pizzimbono CA, Wise L. Mucosal hyperplasia, mucinous cystadenoma, and mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix. A re-evaluation of appendiceal "mucocele". Cancer. 1973 Dec;32(6):1525–41.
6. Kim MK, Lee HY, Song IS, Lee JB, Kim GH, Yoo SM, Rho JY, White CS. A case of a giant mucocoele of the appendiceal stump presented with a palpable mass in the right thigh: pre-operative diagnosis based on characteristic multidetector CT findings. Br J Radiol. 2010 Oct;83(994):e220–23.
7. Sidorova EE. Pugacheva OG, Stepanova IuA, Karmazanovskii GG, Shchegolev AI. Mukotsele appendiksa. Obzor literatury i opisanie sobstvennogo klinicheskogo nabliudeniia [Mukocele of the appendix. A literature review and a description of own clinical observations]. Med Vizualizatsiia. 2008;(1):72–6.
8. Ghidirim G, Gagauz I, Misin I, Canariov M, Ionesii P, Zastavnitchi G. Mucinous cystadenocarcinoma of the appendix complicated with spontaneous cutaneous fistula. Chirurgia (Bucur). 2007 Mar-Apr;102(2):231–35. [Article in Romanian]
9. Mishin I, Ghidirim G, Zastavnitsky G, Popa C. Torsion of an appendiceal mucinous cystadenoma Report of a case and review of literature. Ann Ital Chir. 2012 Jan-Feb;83(1):75–8.
10. Savchenko IuP, Polovinkin VV, Fedosov SR, Pryn' PS. Sochetanie gigantskogo mukotsele cherveobraznogo otrostka i adenokartsinomy priamoi kishki [The combination of a giant mukocele appendix and rectal adenocarcinoma]. Khirurgiia Zhurn im NI Pirogova. 2006;(10):57–59.
11.Liberale G, Lemaitre P, Noterman D, Moerman C, de Neubourg E, Sirtaine N, El Nakadi I. How should we treat mucinous appendiceal neoplasm? By laparoscopy or laparotomy? A case report. Acta Chir Belg. 2010 Mar-Apr;110(2):203–7.
2004, Respublika Moldova, g. Kishinev, ul. Toma Chorbe, d 1, Natsional'nyi nauchno-prakticheskii tsentr urgentnoi meditsiny, kafedra khirurgii ¹1 im. N.Kh. Anestiadi i laboratoriia gepato-pankreato-biliarnoi khirurgii Gosudarstvennogo Universiteta meditsiny i farmatsii im. N.A. Testemitsanu,
Mishin Igor Valentinovich
Mishin I.V., Doctor of Medical Sciences, Deputy Director on Science of the National Scientific Research Center for Urgent Medicine, a Leading Scientific Researcher of the Laboratory of Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Surgery of State University of Medicine and Pharmacy named after N. Testemitsanu, Danch A.V., Candidate of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Endoscopy and Minimally Invasive Surgery of the Republican Hospital of Medical Sanatorium and Restorative Association.