This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2012 Vol. 20 No 3
R.M. SALMIN 1, N.I. PROKOPCHIK 1, I.G. ZHUK 2, A.V. GAYDUK 1, M.V. GORETSKAYA 1, A.YU. PAVLYUKOVETS 1, A.I. ZHMAKIN 1
EFFICACY ESTIMATION OF THE COLON ANASTOMOSIS ZONE STRENGTHENING WITH THE SPONGE “TACHOCOMB”
EE “Grodno State Medical University” 1,
Grodno regional executive committee 2,
The Republic of Belarus
Objectives. To carry out a pathomorphological evaluation of the prevention effectiveness of the colonic anastomotic failure with the sponge “TachoComb”.
Methods. White mongrel male rats, weighing 250±50 g were used in the experiment. All animals were divided into four control and four experimental groups. The intersection of the colon distally to the ileocecal angle by 2 cm with the following “end to end” anastomosis with one-line intrasite serous-musculo-submucous suture was performed in the control group. The same manipulations were carried out in the experimental groups but the anastomosis zone was additionally covered with the sponge “TachoComb”. The animals were derived from the experiment on the 3, 7, 14, 30 days after the surgery.
Results. At the macroscopic analysis it has been established that application of the sponge “TachoComb” decreases the severity of anastomosis stenosis as well as the severity of inflammatory and adhesion processes. Microscopically, at strengthening of the intestinal suture zone with the sponge “TachoComb” smaller edema and leukocyte infiltration of the submucosal and muscle membranes, early onset of the epithelial proliferation have been revealed; there was more delicate connective tissue scar, and the remainder of the sponge “TachoComb” had the appearance of a thin plate encapsulated, intimately connected with the serous coat. At immunological investigation in the experimental groups lower leucocytosis has been established; at plating of washing-up from the anastomosis zone on agar the number of the revealed colony-forming units on the 3rd day was 14 times lower than in the groups without the use of the sponge “TachoComb”.
Conclusions. The sponge “TachoComb” is an effective preventive means against colon anastomosis failure.
1. Shurkalin BK, Gorskii VA, Volenko AV, Faller AP, Leonenko IV, Andreev SS, Il'in VA. Vozmozhnosti, rezul'taty i perspektivy ukrepleniia kishechnykh shvov fibrin-kollagenovoi substantsiei «Takhokomb» [Intestinal sutures fixation by fibrin-collagen substance TahoComb: opportunities, results and perspectives]. Khirurgiia. 2004;(2):53–55.
2. Shurkalin BK, Gorskii VA, Leonenko IV. Problema nadezhnosti kishechnogo shva [The problem of reliability of the intestinal suture]. Consilium Medicum. 2004;6(6):442–46.
3. Agus GB, Bono AV, Mira E, Olivero S, Peilowich A, Homdrum E, Benelli C. Hemostatic efficacy and safety of Tachocomb in surgery. Int Surgery. 1996;81:316–19.
4. Ohtani N. General pharmacological effects of Tachocomb. Pharmacometrics. 1995;49:345–54.
5 .Osada A, Fujii TK, Tanaka H, Tsubata K, Yoshida T, Satoh KP The clinical significance of Tachocomb, a fibrin adhesive in sheet form. Surgical Technology International VII. 1998;1:31–35.
6. Hollaus H, Pridun N. The use Tachocomb in thoracic surgery. J Cardiovasc Surgery. 1994 Dec;35(6 Suppl.. 1):169–70.
7. Severtsev AM. Pervyi opyt ispol'zovaniia ranevogo kleevogo pokrytiia «TakhoKomb» v khirurgii pecheni [First experience with adhesive wound dressing "Tachocomb" in liver surgery]. Klin Vestn. 1995;(3):24–26.
8. Skipenko OG, Shatverian GA, Movchun AA. Primenenie ranevogo pokrytiia «TakhoKomb» pri khirurgicheskikh vmeshatel'stvakh na pecheni i podzheludochnoi zheleze [The application of wound dressing "Tachocomb" in the hepatic and pancreatic surgery]. Khirurgiia. 1998;(1):11–14.
230009, Respublika Belarus', g. Grodno, ul. Gor'kogo, d. 80, UO “Grodnenskii gosudarstvennyi meditsinskii universitet”, kafedra operativnoi khirurgii i topograficheskoi anatomii,
Salmin R.M., a Post-graduate Student of the Chair of Operative Surgery and Topographic Anatomy of the EE "Grodno State Medical University."
Prokopchik N.I., Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor of the Pathologic Anatomy Chair of EE "Grodno State Medical University."
Zhuk I.I., Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Deputy Chairman of Grodno Regional Executive Committee.
Gayduk A.V., a 6th year student of EE "Grodno State Medical University."
Goretskaya M.V., Candidate of Biological Sciences, Associate Professor of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology Chair named after S.I.Gelberg, EE "Grodno State Medical University."
Pavlyukovets A.Yu., Assistant of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology Chair named after S.I.Gelberg, EE "Grodno State Medical University."
Zhmakin A.I., Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Head of Microbiology, Virology and Immunology Chair named after S.I.Gelberg, EE "Grodno State Medical University."