This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2018 Vol. 26 No 6
A.A. SUSHKO, E.V. MAHILEVETS, R.M. SALMIN, A.G. KALACH
COMBINATION OF SUPERIOR MEDIASTINAL NEUROFIBROMA AND PERICARDIAL CYST
Grodno State Medical University, Grodno,
The Republic of Belarus
The article presents a clinical case of the combined pathology of neurogenic mediastinal benign tumor and pericardial cyst. The study provides a summary of the etiology and pathogenesis of these diseases. As an example, the statistical data of clinics on the frequency of neurogenic mediastinal tumors and pericardial cysts among different age groups are used. The peculiarities of a clinical and x-ray picture and the stages of diagnosis are described. Thoracoscopic resection of the lung with a tumor and a pericardial cyst is found out to be effective as a surgical treatment.
The literature data as well as our own practical observation showed that the combination of benign neurogenic mediastinal tumor and pericardial cyst is a rare disorder with non-specific symptomatology, which is characterized by difficulties in diagnostics. High accuracy of the differential diagnosis with oncological pathology can be achieved by means of punch biopsy.
As the result of our own observations and literature review it has been established that thoracoscopic cyst and tumor removal with or without a resection of the lung is priority as less invasive and effective surgical treatment of this pathology.
- Shepetko MN, Prokhorov AV, Letkovskaya TA, Labunets IN, Solovey SV. Diagnostics and surgical treatment of neurogenic mediastinum tumors. Med Novosti. 2013;(9)35-37. https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/diagnostika-i-hirurgicheskoe-lechenie-neyrogennyh-opuholey-sredosteniya (in Russ.)
- Weiss SW, Nickoloff BJ. CD-34 is expressed by a distinctive cell population in peripheral nerve, nerve sheath tumors, and related lesions. Am J Surg Pathol. 1993 Oct;17(10):1039-45. doi: 10.1097/00000478-199310000-00009
- Maurea S, Cuocolo A, Reynolds JC, Neumann RD, Salvatore M. Diagnostic imaging in patients with paragangliomas. Computed tomography, magnetic resonance and MIBG scintigraphy comparison. Q J Nucl Med. 1996 Dec;40(4):365-71. https://geoscience.net/research/045/773/045773221.php
- Megahed M. Histopathological variants of neurofibroma. A study of 114 lesions. Am J Dermatopathol. 1994 Oct;16(5):486-95. https://journals.lww.com/amjdermatopathology/Abstract/1994/10000
- Laurent F, Latrabe V, Lecesne R, Zennaro H, Airaud JY, Rauturier JF, Drouillard J. Mediastinal masses: diagnostic approach. Eur Radiol. 1998;8(7):1148-59. doi: 10.1007/s003300050525
- Zubritskiy V, Tokin S, Ageyev A, Kiprenskiy A, Kiprenskiy Yu, Kolesnikova A, Arefyev M. Diagnosis and surgical treatment of cysts and primary tumors of pericardium and mediastinum. Med Vestn MVD. 2014; (1):8-13. https://elibrary.ru/item.asp?id=21104913 (in Russ.)
- Bousamra M, Wrightson W. Neurogenic mediastinal tumors. In: Deslauriers J, Shari Lynn Meyerson, Patterson A, ed, Cooper JD, ed. Pearson's Thoracic and Esophageal Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2008. p. 1634-40.
- Herlitzka A, Gale JW. Tumors and cysts of mediastinum. AMA Arch Surg. 1958;76(5):697-706. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.1958.01280230037006
- Patel J, Park C, Michaels J, Rosen S, Kort S. Pericardial cyst: case reports and a literature review. Echocardiography. 2004 Apr;21(3):269-72. doi: 10.1111/j.0742-2822.2004.03097.x
230009, The Republic of Belarus,
Grodno, Gorky Str., 80,
Grodno State Medical University,
1st Department of Surgical Diseases,
Tel. mob.: +375 29 202 61 18,
Aliautsina G. Kalach
Sushko Aleksandr A., PhD, Associate Professor of the 1st Department of Surgical Diseases, Grodno State Medical University, Grodno, Republic of Belarus.
Mahilevets Eduard V., PhD, Associate Professor, Head of the 1st Department of Surgical Diseases, Grodno State Medical University, Grodno, Republic of Belarus.
Salmin Roman M., PhD, Assistant of the 1st Department of Surgical Diseases, Grodno State Medical University, Grodno, Republic of Belarus.
Kalach Aliautsina G., 6-Year Student of the Medical Faculty, Grodno State Medical University, Grodno, Republic of Belarus.