This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2018 Vol. 26 No 5
T.A. STUPINA, M.A. STEPANOV, N.I. ANTONOV
STRUCTURAL REORGANIZATION OF THE KNEE ARTICULAR CARTILAGE IN DISTRACTION
FEMORAL OSTEOSYNTHESIS COMBINED WITH BONE PLATE
Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center “Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics”, Kurgan,
The Russian Federation
Objective. To analyze the dynamics of changes in the knee articular cartilage in the distraction femoral osteosynthesis combined with a bone plate.
Methods. The articular cartilage of the knee joint was studied experimentally using X-ray, histological and quantitative methods techniques in six mongrel dogs in the distraction femoral osteosynthesis with the rate of 1 mm for four times combined with bone plate. The studies were carried out 30 and 90 days after the plate fixation.
Results. In the distraction femoral osteosynthesis combined with a bone plate, an active osteogenesis was observed with forming a typical normoplastic regenerated bone. The period of fixation with the bone plate was 90 days. The knee function in the period of lengthening and up to 30 days of fixation was limited to 90°, the range of motion by the end of the experiment was 130-140° with presenting active static-and-dynamic function of the limb. The destructive changes in the articular cartilage manifested themselves in the zonal structure disorder, fibration visualization of the intercellular substance of the intermediate zone superficial and top parts, substantial decrease in the intercellular substance thickness, volumetric density and chondrocyte area, cell death, while proliferation was suppressed. Disturbance of basophilic line integrity was noted, as well as penetration of vessels into the cartilage, and phenomena of the osteoclastic resorption in the subchondral zone.
Conclusions. When performing distraction femoral osteosynthesis combined with a bone plate destructive changes were revealed in the articular cartilage of the knee joint. The low value of isogenic group proportion and the penetration of vessels into the cartilage evidenced of regressive hyaline cartilage changes and unfavorable functional prognosis. The degree of manifestations of the articular cartilage changes with the studied method of femoral lengthening leads to the conclusion that the development of the technologies optimal for functional rehabilitation should be continued in further experimental studies.
- Shchourov VA, Popkov DA, Laptev OV. The effect of early active movements on the rates of the knee function recovery after surgical femoral lengthening. Genii Ortopedii. 2004;(1):30-35. http://ilizarov-journal.com/index.php/go/article/view/1351/1328 (in Russ.)
- Sun XT, Easwar TR, Manesh S, Ryu JH, Song SH, Kim SJ, Song HR. Complications and outcome of tibial lengthening using the Ilizarov method with or without a supplementary intramedullary nail: a case-matched comparative study. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Jun;93(6):782-87. doi: 10.1302/0301-620X.93B6.25521
- Rose REÑ. Femoral lengthening using the Ilizarov technique. West Indian Med J. 2006 Dec;55(6):420-24. https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/bc37/15e7b305dcd89d11885501d70ed7d950499e.pdf
- Fragomen AT, Rozbruch SR. The mechanics of external fixation. HSS J. 2007 Feb;3(1):13-29. Published online 2006 Dec 21. doi: 10.1007/s11420-006-9025-0
- Gordon JE, Manske MC, Lewis TR, O’Donnell JC, Schoenecker PL, Keeler KA. Femoral lengthening over a pediatric femoral nail: results and complications. J Pediatr Orthop. 2013 Oct-Nov;33(7):730-36. doi: 10.1097/BPO.0b013e3182a122a1
- Pavlova VN, Pavlov GG, Shostak NA, Slutskii LI. Sustav: Morfologiia, klinika, diagnostika, lechenie. Moscow, RF: Med inform agenstvo; 2011. 552 p. https://www.ozon.ru/context/detail/id/5664881/ (in Russ.)
- Stepanov MA, Antonov NI, Borzunov DYu. Experimental Approval of Combined Fixation for Femur Lengthening. Travmatologiia i Ortopediia Rossii. 2017;23(3):95-102. doi: 10.21823/2311-2905-2017-23-3-95-102 (in Russ.)
- Novikov KI, Subramanyam KN, Muradisinov SO, Novikova OS, Kolesnikova ES. Cosmetic lower limb lengthening by Ilizarov apparatus: what are the risks? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Nov;472(11):3549-56. doi: 10.1007/s11999-014-3782-8 (in Russ.)
- Nakamura E, Mizuta H, Sei A, Takagi K. Knee articular cartilage injury in leg lengthening. Histological studies in rabbits. Acta Orthop Scand. 1993 Aug;64(4):437-40. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.3109/17453679308993662
- Stanitski DF, Rossman K, Torosian M. The effect of femoral lengthening on knee articular cartilage: the role of apparatus extension across the joint. J Pediatr Orthop. 1996 Mar-Apr;16(2):151-54. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8742275
- Cai G, Yang L, Saleh M, Coulton L. The effect of tibial diaphyseal lengthening on the longitudinal growth of the tibia. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2007 Nov;16(6):403-7. doi: 10.1097/BPB.0b013e3282f103ae
- Li G, Yin J, Gao J, Cheng TS, Pavlos NJ, Zhang C, Zheng MH. Subchondral bone in osteoarthritis: insight into risk factors and microstructural changes. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15(6):223. doi: 10.1186/ar4405
- Makushin VD. Gonarthrosis: alternative methods of surgical treatment. Kurgan, RF: Zaural’e; 2010. 625 p. (in Russ.)
- Kim HK, Bian H, Aya-ay J, Garces A, Morgan EF, Gilbert SR. Hypoxia and HIF-1alpha expression in the epiphyseal cartilage following ischemic injury to the immature femoral head. Bone. 2009 Aug;45(2):280-88. doi: 10.1016/j.bone.2009.03.665
- Kawcak CE, McIlwraith CW, Norrdin RW, Park RD, James SP. The role of subchondral bone in joint disease: a review. Equine Vet J. 2001 Mar;33(2):120-26. doi: 10.1111/j.2042-3306.2001.tb00589.x
640014, The Russian Federation,
Kurgan, M. Ulyanova Str., 6,
Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center
“Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics”,
Laboratory of Morphology.
Tel. office: +7 3522 41 52 27,
Tatyana A. Stupina
Stupina Tatyana A., MD, Senior Researcher of the Laboratory of Morphology, Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center “Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics”, Kurgan, Russian Federation.
Stepanov Mikhail A., PhD, Leading Researcher of the Experimental Laboratory, Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center “Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics”, Kurgan, Russian Federation.
Antonov Nicolai I., PhD, Researcher of the Experimental Laboratory, Russian Ilizarov Scientific Center “Restorative Traumatology and Orthopaedics”, Kurgan, Russian Federation.