This journal is
indexed in Scopus
Year 2015 Vol. 23 No 2
GENERAL AND SPECIAL SURGERY
A.V. KOCHETKOV, A.V. FEDULOVA
CLINICAL SIGNIFICANCE OF COLON INJURIES IN POLYTRAUMA IN MOTOR VEHICLE ACCIDENTS
FSBE "All-Russian Center of Emergency and Radiation Medicine named after A.M. Nikiforov of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation", Saint-Petersburg,
The Russian Federation
Objectives. To study the structure and clinical significance of the colon injury in polytrauma as a result of motor vehicle accidents.
Methods. The retrospective analysis of 101 case histories of motor vehicle accidents victims with the colon injuries of 4 hospitals of St. Petersburg for the period from 1989 to 2014 has been carried out.
Results. In motor vehicle accidents the frequency of the colon injuries and its mesentery are almost identical: 53,1% and 46,8%. Cecum (10,8%), transverse colon (15,3%) and sigmoid (16,2%) were more frequently injured.
The sigmoid was injured more often in pedestrians, in victims inside the vehicle – transverse colon. According to the nature of injuries, defects of the serous membrane of the colon (55%) and intramural hematoma (20,3%) were predominant ones. Complete rupture of the colon wall was observed in 18,8%. The damage of the small bowel mesentery, parenchymal organs, closed head injury, damage to the ribs, pelvic bones; lower extremities were occurred frequently in polytrauma.
Deserousive defects of the colon wall were sutured in 51,4% cases, of the mesentery – in 49,5%. Colostomy in case of the damaged colon wall was applied in 5,9% cases, in case of the damaged colon mesentery – 1%. In laparotomy in 97% of victims, blood loss was revealed, which was not associated with the damage to the colon. Overall mortality is composed 39 people. During traumatic shock period 36,8% of the victims died, in the second period of traumatic disease – 29%, in the third period – 34,2%. According to the forensic examination, the main causes of death were traumatic shock (92,3%) and hemorrhage (38,5%).
Conclusion. Colon injury is often in polytrauma however, it doesn’t determine a severity of the trauma. Shock and bleeding caused by not colonic or mesenteric damage but the injury of the other anatomical regions.
Revealing colon wounds and active surgical tactics allows preventing the development of septic complications in the abdominal cavity in various phases of traumatic disease course in injured persons.
- Bagnenko SF, Stozharov VV, Krylov KM, Shlyk IV, Orlova OV, Zakarian AA, Krylov PK. Algoritm deistvii po preemstvennosti okazaniia meditsinskoi pomoshchi postradavshim pri dorozhno-transportnykh proisshestviiakh s ozhogami v usloviiakh uchastkovoi bol'nitsy, tsentral'noi raionnoi bol'nitsy, spetsializirovannogo otdeleniia v mnogoprofil'nom statsionare [The algorithm of action for continuity of care to victims of motor vehicle accidents with burns in a local hospital, central regional hospital, a specialized department in a multidisciplinary hospital]: Metod rekomendatsii. GU SPb NII skoroi pomoshchi im II Dzhanelidze. Saint-Petersburg, RF. 2010. 27 p.
- Tulupov AN./ red. Sochetannaia mekhanicheskaia travma [Combined mechanical trauma]: rukovodstvo dlia vrachei. 2012. 393 p.
- Svedeniia o pokazateliakh sostoianiia bezopasnosti dorozhnogo dvizheniia [Information about the indicators of road safety]. Available from: HTTP:WWW.GIBDD.RU/STAT/.
- Bykov IIu, Efimenko NA, Gumanenko EK. / red. Voenno-polevaia khirurgiia [Military field surgery]: Natsional'noe rukovodstvo. Moscow, RF: GEOTAR Media. 2009. 816 p.
- Sotnichenko BA, Glushko VV, Kalinin OB, Sotnichenko AB, Salienko SV, Dmitriev ON, Shchepetil'nikova OI. Khirurgicheskaia taktika pri sochetannykh povrezhdeniiakh tolstoi kishki [Surgical tactics in combined injuries of the colon]. Tikhookean Med Zhurn. 2008;(4):44–47.
- Dedushkin VS, Reminets VV, Solov'ev MM. Tsybuliak GN. / red. Chastnaia khirurgiia mekhanicheskikh povrezhdenii [Specific surgery of mechanical damage]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: Gippokrat, 2011. 570 p.
- Georgoff P, Perales P, Laguna B, Holena D, Reilly P, Sims C.Colonic injuries and the damage control abdomen: does management strategy matter? J Surg Res. 2013 May;181(2):293-99. doi: 10.1016/j.jss.2012.07.011.
- Zheng YX, Chen L, Tao SF, Song P, Xu SM.Diagnosis and management of colonic injuries following blunt trauma. World J Gastroenterol. 2007 Jan 28;13(4):633-36.
- Goettler CE, Rotondo MF. Blunt colon trauma. Semin. Colon and Rectal Surg. 2004;(15):105-11.
- Sheianov SD. Povrezhdeniia obodochnoi kishki [Colon damage]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: ELBI-SPb, 2014. 431 p.
- Ricciardi R, Paterson CA, Islam S. Independent predictors of morbidity and mortality in blunt colon trauma. Am. Surg. 2004;70(1):75-79.
- Bisenkov LN, Zubarev PN, Trofimov VM, Shalaev SA, Ishchenko BI. Neotlozhn khirurgiia grudi i zhivota [Emergency surgery of chest and abdomen]. Saint-Petersburg, RF: Gippokrat. 2002. 560 p.
- Andreas M. Kaizer. Shelygin IuA, Uriadova SE. /red. Kolorektal'naia khirurgiia [Colorectal surgery]. Moscow, RF: Binom, 2011. 751 p.
- Cleary RK, Pomerantz RA, Lampman RM. Colon and rectal injuries. Dis Colon Rectum. 2006 Aug;49(8):1203-22.
- Lazović R, Krivokapić Z. The role of enterostomy in the management of colonic injuries. Acta Chir Iugosl. 2005;52(1):73-82. [Article in Serbian].
194044, Rossiyskaya Federatsiya,
g. Sankt-Peterburg, ul. Akad. Lebedeva, d. 4/2,
FGBU "Vserossiyskiy tsentr
ekstrennoy i radiatsionnoy meditsinyi im. A.M. Nikiforova MChS Rossii"
Fedulova Anastasiya Viktorovna
Kochetkov A.V. MD, professor, a chief specialist on surgery of FSBE "All- Russian Center of Emergency and Radiation Medicine named after A.M. Nikiforov of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation", professor of the general surgery chair of Military Medical Academy named after S.M. Kirov.
Fedulova A.V. A post-graduate student, surgeon of the surgical department of emergency care of FSBE "All- Russian Center of Emergency and Radiation Medicine named after A.M. Nikiforov of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Russian Federation".